It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
(female)

mommazwieback HB User
Positive sweat test after nbs?

Ok, so apparently cycstic fibrosis is part of a newborn screening... And my sons must have been negative, because it was never mentioned. But now he has respiratory problems, recurrent resp distress. He has had pneumonia 2x, bronchitis, bronchilitis, etc. Hospitalized 3 times in the past year and a half. Doctors are leaning toward.asthma but have decided to do the sweat test, just to be safe.

Im scared. Has anyone in here had a positive sweat test after a negative new born screen?

Old 03-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
(female)

AuntyShannon HB User
Re: Positive sweat test after nbs?

How old is your son? Depending on where you are located (I am in Alberta, Canada) prescreening was only introduced in 2008 for most Canadian provinces. I am not sure about anywhere other than Canada's prescreening procedures...

That being said, I have an 8 year old son that was not prescreened at birth. We found out in 2011 that both my husband and I are both carriers of the CF gene. That terrified us because like you, our son had pneumonia 3 times before his 3rd birthday. The first time he got it he was 8 weeks old! He suffered through cold after cold and ear infection after ear infection. We took him in for the sweat test pretty sure that he would be diagnosed with CF. But luckily it came back well within the normal range. Sometimes kids just have a weaker immune system. So try to stay positive....

I am also pretty sure that if they are prescreened and it comes back negative that the tests are very accurate.

Good luck with the test!!! I'm sure everything will turn out just fine....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply