It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 02:59 PM   #1

boaz HB User
Death Noises, help....hiccups?

Hi has anyone experienced someone who is dying that has gotten hiccups? It's odd sounding, but I had that experience with a beloved brother in law a few years ago, he had cancer and was dying in a hospital...he was heavily sedated and he started getting hiccups on a regular rhythm, it sounded alot like a cross between a gasp for air kinda too...my husband now has many many health problems, he is very skinny, won't eat, just alot going on....and at night sometimes he has started doing that hiccup/gasp kinda thing, it has scared me silly....but I don't know what to make of it....I believe the hospice people said in regards to my brother in law that they called them death hiccups? Has anyone experienced that or ever heard of it?

Thanks

Old 06-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #2
(female)

tmarie HB User
Re: Death Noises, help....hiccups?

yes, my dad died of cancer on April 23rd and used to get the hiccups all of the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2005, 11:53 AM   #3

boaz HB User

TMarie,

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it so, where to start mmm, he's not on anything new that he hasn't been on for awhile now, he has alot of issues, brain aneurysm, high cholesterol so bad he had stents put in his femoral are of his thighs, and they in turn clogged him up way worse and caused him to have to have his last operation in which they replaced a big part of his aorta from above just below where it branches off to his kidney (yeah he donated one to his brother over 20 years ago) and down from there to where they had placed the stents, they used Dacron in there to fashion a new aorta!! After that operation which his family doctor said that is the biggest op there is?? Here I thought the brain aneurysm was bad (had the coils put in thru a vein) that was one tough operation, his bowels have never worked since then (that was in March) and he has to drink M.O.M's to go. He has lost over 40 lbs, I don't know what to make of things. He's changed as a person, so have I, things are just not the same...but I appreciate your prayers. Any idea if this is a dying issue what the exact cause (mechanics) of this thing is, does it have a name?

p.s. I am so sorry for your loss...cancer is a terrible thing

Last edited by moderator2; 06-09-2005 at 08:41 PM.

Old 06-10-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
(female)

tmarie HB User

I don't know where my dad's hiccups came from also....he was diagnosed on Nov 04 and died April 05. It started in his lung to his hip, pelvic area, spine, brain and liver. He also became a changed person but so positive and was so so comical. Our days with him were enjoyable while very painful. He was 60 and my mom passed away 5 years at 57. It is just me and brother and our spouses. He died at home and we took care of him until the very end. I miss him so much..... I was in denial for a couple of months but finally realized how serious it was and spent every single day with my dad. I am so glad I did and it made him so happy.

I really do feel your pain..my thoughts and prayers are with you

Old 06-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

You might want to look up Cheyne-Stokes respiration.

How sad to hear of what your husband is going through - please give him an extra hug for me......

Closed Thread