It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
(female)

Squelchie HB User
Question Something special happened....can anyone relate??

My Mom died on Feb. 22, 2007, from colon cancer. She was diagnosed 4 1/2 years ago with stage IV cancer and put up a good fight to stay alive. The docs told her after first being diagnosed that she probably only had 6 months to 1 year to live....but, she sure proved them wrong!!

Anyway, her funeral was this past Monday (the 26th) and after seeing her so sick the past 3 months....she looked JUST LIKE her normal healthy self. Everyone who knew her told us how beautiful she looked.

The night after the funeral and burial....I was wiped out and decided to go to bed very early. (about 8:00) When my head hit that pillow I was sound to sleep. When my husband came to bed, he brought with him medication that I take every night before bed. I took the meds and we both went to sleep.

I never have problems sleeping at night...in fact, when I go to sleep it's very difficult for anyone to wake me up. However, that night I woke up around midnight with a stomach ache and couldn't go back to sleep.

I was laying there just listening to my husband snore (lol) wondering why I couldn't fall back to sleep. Sometime during that period while I was awake...I felt someone gently rub the sides of my face and my forehead. I figured it was my husband consoling me in his sleep or maybe he woke up and saw that I was awake and just rubbed my face. After I felt someone rub my face...I layed a little longer and then decided to go into the kitchen and get something to make my stomach feel better.

The next day I went about my business as usual...we had relatives over...etc.

When my husband and I went to bed Tuesday night I told him how he was rubbing my face in his sleep. We talked about it more and it dawned on us that if it were him gently rubbing my face in his sleep that his hand would have been heavy and not as precise in where I actually felt that light soothing touch.

I'm typically not the kind of person who believes in ghosts or anything supernatural; however, I'm rather convinced that what I felt was my Mom's hand or maybe it was an Angel....I don't know.

One thing I do know is the way my face was carressed that night was the exact same way I would carress my Mom's face during her last few weeks she was alive. It would relax her and help her to go to sleep.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this before? I'm not having doubts about what I know I felt that night but I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this or something similar happen to them.
If so, would you please share your story with me??

Thanks,
Squelch

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2007, 02:52 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: Something special happened....can anyone relate??

morning squelchie --- so sorry for your loss. Yes I have had "visitors". Sometimes it's a scent, sometimes something very meaningful to me is moved in my house. It doesn't happen often but I know someone has visited. It's a wonderful feeling to know your deceased loved ones watch over you. Also when my dad died from cancer he looked 20 years younger and in peace after death. All the pain is gone and they're home. God bless you . my prayes are with you.

ICC

Old 03-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

I also have had similar experiences. I even felt the presence of someone I never met - while dating my husband, it was at his house. I was alone there to pick something up for him. I told him about it later, and he confirmed the same had happened to him, although we're still not sure who it may have been. We live in that house today, and it hasn't happened to either of us recently.
Also, my mom passed away 6 months ago, from a very brief illness. She also looked much younger after she was gone. It was kind of strange to see her that way, although it was nice for everyone to remember her, in her better days.
I truley believe in this type of thing happening - 'visitors' or what have you. Years ago my mom saw her grandmother sitting on the end of her bed, the night she died, and my husband claims to have spoken to both his parents - together, shortly after his father passed.
I wans't frightened by the 'ghost' in our house when I felt it near. It wasn't a bad thing.
I think I've felt my grandparents nearby at times also.

Mary

Old 03-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Squelchie-
I have mentioned in several posts, that those we love and care for so very much never truly leave us. I do believe that you have aquired a wonderfully loving, and beautiful guardian angel. I feel that your mom was letting you know that she had felt you by her side when she passed away. She was letting you know she loves you and will always be with you. What a wonderful thought that she is no longer suffering and is in a better place.

Take care!!

Old 03-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
(female)

Squelchie HB User
Smile Re: Something special happened....can anyone relate??

Even though I know that I shouldn't take anything for granted...I just so wish that it would happen again.

As the week has gone on I've had second thoughts about if it were really just my husband or maybe my imagination. Actually, I KNOW that I didn't imagine it...it's just that nothing remotely close to this has ever happened to me. Plus, when I way laying there...I wasn't even thinking about my Mom...I was thinking about why on earth I couldn't get back to sleep. LOL

However, last night I discussed it with my husband again and asked him exactly how we figured out it couldn't have been him rubbing my face that night, etc...since my concentration and memory isn't at it's best right now.

I'm now convinced that it was either my Mom or an Angel and I hope and pray that I will someday be touched like that again.

Thanks to all who have replied and for all the kind words and encouragement!

Blessings to all,
Squelchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzybug View Post
Squelchie-
I have mentioned in several posts, that those we love and care for so very much never truly leave us. I do believe that you have aquired a wonderfully loving, and beautiful guardian angel. I feel that your mom was letting you know that she had felt you by her side when she passed away. She was letting you know she loves you and will always be with you. What a wonderful thought that she is no longer suffering and is in a better place.

Take care!!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:16 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User

Ozzybug hit it right on the head! We all have Guardian Angels and that was to let you know that your Mom was right there with you. She will always see you and you will feel her presence too. I do with my Mom. Give it some time, and you will notice something else will hapen too and then you will see that it's your Mom watching over you.

God Bless!

Old 03-15-2007, 08:43 AM   #7
(female)

Squelchie HB User

Coyote -

I SO wish that something else would happen to indicate that my Mom is watching over me.

I am an analyzer of all things. Especially things that don't make sense to me. I have analyzed the heck out of what happened to the point that I've started doubting myself. I told my husband last night that I wish I would have written down the experience that I had in my journal right after we figured out what it probably was.

A friend of mine who lost her husband in a car accident said that she used to imagine all kinds of things happening to her after her husband's death. But, she now realizes that it was just her imagination playing tricks on her.
But then I go back and just knowing myself as well as I do....I KNOW that I did not just come up with this because as I said in my initial post...I've never believed in anything like this before. I mean, I've always known that each of us has a guardian angel but that's as far as I went with that subject.

I guess that if something happens to me again..it will completely catch me off guard like it did the first time. However, I could really use some affirmation right now because the real grieving process has kicked in and I'm aching inside for my Mom.

Coyote, if you don't mind me asking...what kind of things have happened to you to let you know that your Mom is there with you?

God bless!
Cara

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteBound View Post
Ozzybug hit it right on the head! We all have Guardian Angels and that was to let you know that your Mom was right there with you. She will always see you and you will feel her presence too. I do with my Mom. Give it some time, and you will notice something else will hapen too and then you will see that it's your Mom watching over you.

God Bless!

Old 03-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

NaturalPeace HB User

Squelchie,

What a wonderful thing to experience.

I had one a few years ago but at the time did not realize the great gift I was getting.

My grandmother had passed away a few years before my aunt. After my aunt passed my family set to the task of cleaning the house out and getting it ready for sale. One night I was there with a girlfriend. We were in the kitchen doing the mound of dishes my aunt and grandmother had.

The dinning room was stacked with things that had been cleaned and was ready for sale. Included in the stack was some of the music boxes my grandmother had. I had taken a few for my home but did not have room for all.

As we were chatting and getting things cleaned up we heard one of the music boxes start playing. We both looked at each other, I went in and checked to find that one had started to play. First we thought that it was just how it was set or a vibration for a plane or something. I stopped it and went back to the kitchen to finish up. After a while a different music box started up.

We were both a little spooked, just about that time the dang furnace let off a big boom, something that was common, at this point we both just got out of the house. We did not go back in the evening.

At the time I was sure it was my grandma giving me a sign that her and my aunt were OK. The furnace however scared the idea out of me. Over the following years the family talked about different things each of us had seen or heard in the house. The conversations made me sure that my grandmother was reaching out to me from the other side.

Hold the little signs like that close in your heart and mind.

I am wishing you all the best,
Natural Peace

Old 03-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
(female)

Squelchie HB User
Question Re: Something special happened....can anyone relate??

Alliejazz,
Do you know the titles of some of the books regarding the afterlife. I would prefer that it be written from a Christian perspective. If not, I'd still be interested in know some of the titles so I can do my own research about the author.

Thanks!
Cara

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliejazz View Post
There are some good books regarding the afterlife and these experiences we have mentioned.

I do a lot of reading on different things but this subject has really grabbed my attention since I lost my grandpa....

Old 03-17-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
(female)

Squelchie HB User

Did your grandmother collect music boxes? That's quite an amazing experience that you had with the music boxes just turning on by themselves.

I know that I would have been a bit spooked myself but as I'm sure you know...if it was your grandma or aunt causing the music boxes to play...they would never intentionally do anything to scare you.

Thanks for sharing your story with me. I will certainly continue to hold the little signs and such close to my heart.

Blessings,
Cara

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalPeace View Post
Squelchie,

What a wonderful thing to experience.

I had one a few years ago but at the time did not realize the great gift I was getting.

My grandmother had passed away a few years before my aunt. After my aunt passed my family set to the task of cleaning the house out and getting it ready for sale. One night I was there with a girlfriend. We were in the kitchen doing the mound of dishes my aunt and grandmother had.

The dinning room was stacked with things that had been cleaned and was ready for sale. Included in the stack was some of the music boxes my grandmother had. I had taken a few for my home but did not have room for all.

As we were chatting and getting things cleaned up we heard one of the music boxes start playing. We both looked at each other, I went in and checked to find that one had started to play. First we thought that it was just how it was set or a vibration for a plane or something. I stopped it and went back to the kitchen to finish up. After a while a different music box started up.

We were both a little spooked, just about that time the dang furnace let off a big boom, something that was common, at this point we both just got out of the house. We did not go back in the evening.

At the time I was sure it was my grandma giving me a sign that her and my aunt were OK. The furnace however scared the idea out of me. Over the following years the family talked about different things each of us had seen or heard in the house. The conversations made me sure that my grandmother was reaching out to me from the other side.

Hold the little signs like that close in your heart and mind.

I am wishing you all the best,
Natural Peace

Old 03-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

NaturalPeace HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelchie View Post
Did your grandmother collect music boxes? That's quite an amazing experience that you had with the music boxes just turning on by themselves.

I know that I would have been a bit spooked myself but as I'm sure you know...if it was your grandma or aunt causing the music boxes to play...they would never intentionally do anything to scare you.

Thanks for sharing your story with me. I will certainly continue to hold the little signs and such close to my heart.

Blessings,
Cara
Yes my grandmother had a large collection. On weekends I would spend with her and my aunt when I was little. My grandma and I would start a bunch of them playing to drive my aunt up the wall. It was fun. They were my step family but you would have not known. After they both passed, my husband and I got a lot of the things that reminded us most of them.

Take care Cara,
Natural Peace

Old 03-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

I also had an experience with a music box. Mine was on my dresser and had actually been broken for years. I only kept it around because it was a gift from my husband. After my brother passed almost 20 years now, ..my broken music box played out of the blue one day while i was laying on my bed and begging my brother to let me know he was okay. It started playing and I felt the most amazing sense of peace come over me. Then my mom passed 18years to the day from my brothers passing. I still had the music box on my dresser and it was still broken. This time I was thinking of my mom ,actually playing with her gold band that I now wear ..when the music box started playing. This time it went on and on ...at least 3 times the normal length of the song that's on there. I knew it was my mom right away because with her "if a little is good ...a lot is better. " I finally spoke up after getting over my shock and said " okay mom ...I know it's you. Thank-you" It actually played 2 more times in the coming weeks .Times when I was at my very lowest point and missing her terribly. I have no doubt what so ever that it was my mom and my brother reaching out to me. I also have no doubts that what you felt were your mom's hands ,letting you know she was okay ,and she was watching over you. I am so thankfull for the wonderfull gift I was given. Take care, Kat

Old 03-25-2007, 10:55 AM   #13
(male)

CtRich HB User

I'm always getting little reminders from my mom.......pennies appearing out of nowhere! Whenever mom would find a penny she would do a little song and dance(so embarassing!) "Find a penny,pick it up and all day long good luck".
I can just finish vaccuming the living room and turn around and there is a shiney penny in the middle of the floor. This happens quite frequently.
This past October on my birthday as I was getting into my car....you guessed it a shiney penny in the middle of the drivers seat. Lately when I find a penny I've been looking up towards heaven and asking mom for $100 bills instead of pennies, lol.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #14
(male)

Imjustakiid HB User

Although this did not happen to myself, I thought I would share.

Years ago when my grandpa died, my aunt told me that he had made contact with her in her sleep 30 minutes before he passed. My grandpa was sick for some time with cancer, and he was in a very weak state.

My aunt, who is not blood related to him (my uncle is his son), was up late one night working on her computer. Her computer was downstair and after she was finished with her work (it was late, after midnight) she turned off everything and went upstairs to sleep. Later that night she went back downstairs to grab a drink, and she noticed her computer has turned back on. She's sure to shut it down every night because she uses her computer quite frequently for work.

So she dismissed it not thinking a great deal of it, and head back up stairs to sleep. A little bit later she had a dream that she was still in bed and my grandpa was standing at her bedside. When she noticed him there, the ground started to shake tremendiously. Her husband noticed that she was shaking in bed and then she grabbed his arm and started to squeeze very hard (this is in real life, not in the dream). So he woke her up and she told him that she just saw his father in her dream and the ground started to shake.

30 mins later she recieved a call from my dad (everyone took turns watching him for the weekend) saying that he had just passed away. After she recieved the call she knew that he was trying to let her know that he is passing. She's not quite sure why he would go to her, seeing as how she isn't related to him by blood. She's just a daughter-in-law.

Well that was my experience with death, well, not mine, but you get the idea. =)

Old 03-28-2007, 07:58 AM   #15
(female)

Squelchie HB User
Smile Re: Something special happened....can anyone relate??

Thanks to all who have shared your experiences with contact from someone either before or after death. Since I've never really believed in anything like this prior to it happening to me...it's very easy for me to continue to second guess what I KNOW in my heart that I felt.

I would love to see this thread continue with more experiences as I believe that most of us need a bit of validation that what we have experienced wasn't just our imagination or our longing for that person that we loved to contact us.

For some reason I've been having nightmares and my Mom has had a place in those nightmares. The nightmares, I know, stem from the fact that I'm mourning so deeply. Plus, there isn't a minute that goes by during the day that I don't think of my Mom.

Anyway, I just wanted to let ya'll know that I'm still reading this thread and truly appreciate each of you sharing your experiences.

--Cara

Closed Thread