It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User
Neighbor is dying---edema issues

She is 88, of great spirits. She has lung (into) liver cancer--told in July she had about 3 months live. She has chosen to stay at home, has Hospice care-has great support but has edema in legs up to her upper belly as of yesterday and is still retaining fluid even with water pill. This is normal, isn't it? The liver can;t filter anything properly and body swells. Will this affect her breathing? Will she start rattleing in her chest as she breaths? Common sense tells me yes, fluid gets into lungs and other parts of body.

Any insite would help. I have a great relationship with her and would love to understand more about what could happen to her in these last days of her life. She is a very candid talker about this whole process as well and looks at it as a stage in life, has lived a wonderful life.

Thank you, SR

Last edited by sickofpain2; 08-20-2008 at 09:13 PM.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
(female)

SherryAnne HB User
Re: Neighbor is dying---edema issues

I'm very sorry to hear about your neighbor. My Mom passed away from lung cancer on July 18. She also had major issues with edema. Her leg (one leg was amputated 14 years ago due to poor circulation) would swell up like a balloon all the time. She has been on a large dose of Lasix for the past 14 years. But that was no longer working. The last time her leg swelled really bad they changed her medicine from the oral lasix to an IV push of BUMEX three times a day. It definately got the swelling down. Also, her legs should be elevated (above the heart) as much as possible.

I hope this is helpful to you and wish your neighbor comfort and peace as she battles cancer.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread