It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

Marie1973 HB User
My Dad died

My Dad passed away on Sunday August 17th at 11:54 pm.
I was sitting right next to him as it happened.
The hospice nurses thought he had 3 - 7 days left.
I didn't want him to hang on in that condition-not even for another day.....

He started going downhill about a week before he died.He was unable to bring up mucus and continued having a wet cough.Then he began to get really winded with just a few steps.

He lungs filled with fluid until there wasn't any room left for any air.The nurse descibed it as trying to get air into a water balloon.

The night my dad died,he had been placed on continuous care so they had a nurse come over from 6-11 that night.Then a shift change at 11.The 11 o'clock nurse told me to go get some sleep,that she would get me if there were any changes.I said do you really think he'll make it through the night?(which she said yes) Then I said no,I'm going to stay with him.

He was sleeping alot the last 2 days.Were were using medicine from the comfort pak to clear up the rattle but it didn't help.

At about 10:45 pm I told my dad it was okay to let go,that I didn't want to see him suffer and that his brothers and sisters were waiting there for him.

I told him these things again about 10 minutes before he died.I let him know that we were okay and that I will see him again.-This was not easy,but I didn't want him to suffer anymore because he was really hanging on.
Earlier that morning, when the nurse asked him how he felt he said- "I'm fine.Come back tomorrow."-Such a trooper.

Thank you to those who told me that it helps our loved one to tell them that it's okay to go.
We never want them to leave,but we sure don't want them to suffer.

I just buried my Dad earlier this morning and I'm still kind of in disbelief.I know he's giving me the strength to keep it together because I really thought I'd fall apart.

Thank you to all who helped me during these 3 life changing months.
I really apprecite it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: My Dad died

Marie I'm so very sorry for your loss. I'm sure your presence gave your dad much comfort in his final time on this earth. You were able to help give him the strength to let go. I'm glad you got to talk to him and tell him that you will see him again, because you will. Hugs going out to you.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
(female)

imjensmom HB User

Marie, I'm so sorry about the loss of your dad. My dad died in June of 1991 of cancer so I've walked in your shoes. It's really hard. Although it's been 17 years, I still think of my dad every day and still miss him terribly. I guess it's just something you never quite get over.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
(female)

Mildred1260 HB User

I'm so so sorry. I remember the death of my dad 4 years ago. That was a horrific time for me. My B/P was sky high and the doctor told me I could have a stroke just like the stroke that killed dad. I hope each day bring you more relief from sorrow. God Bless!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
(female)

SherryAnne HB User

Hi Marie...I am very sorry to hear about your dad passing on. I know how difficult it is to lose a parent...I've lost both now. I am still struggling with
my mom's death on July 18. I miss her so very much.

May God Bless you and give you strength to heal more each day. My prayers
are with you Marie.

Closed Thread