It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
(female)

cbenzoni HB User
end of life, small cell lung cancer, what to expect

My sister was dx with sclc-ex in Feb. Unfortunately, despite 3 different chemo's the tumors have continued to grow & spread.

She is coming to terms with this and we expect that we will be calling in hospice shortly.

Can anyone tell me what we can expect toward the end of her life? Will she experience much pain? She is sleeping more and I understand this will continue as time goes on. I just don't want her to suffer & I'm hoping hospice can help us with that. Once hospice is called in is her onc still involved with her care?

The following user gives a hug of support to cbenzoni:
meander1 (08-31-2011)
Old 08-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ConnieB52 HB User
Re: end of life, small cell lung cancer, what to expect

Hospice will walk you through the ending journey. No two people are the same in the ending journey. Her Onc will no longer be apart of her care when Hospice comes in, that I know of. Every state is different too.

No one wants to see a loved one suffer. Hospice will do all they can to keep her comfortable.

Best wishes,
Connie

Last edited by ConnieB52; 08-28-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
(female)

courtenaynt HB User

My mother died a year and a half ago from small cell--hospice did help. It was very sad but she didn't suffer at the end. She had 3 months from diagnosis, and was probably only really really ill for a week. She had morphine and her breathing got shallower and shallower...she just went into a deep sleep and never woke up. We (her four daughters) were all with her and it was terrifying and amazing all at the same time. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Once hospice is called, there is no other medical help. It's just them making her (and you) more comfortable with the end of life stage. It's so hard not to know "when," but sometimes hospice nurses really can tell if it'll be a few days, hours, what. So since she's sleeping more, I would think if it's anything like Mom, she will sleep and sleep and then you'll know when it's getting to be time to really say goodbye.

Happy to answer any more questions, but Connie is right, every single person is different and I can't say for sure, just our experience. I do think my mother went peacefully and we were happy to see the end of her suffering, even though we miss her horribly every day.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User

I just lost mom in July to SCLC. She was dxed in april and we took her right home to home hospice. They are truly angels!!

Mom was alert and semi coherent most of the time. She was weak and needed help walking, but she insisted on walking, even if only a few steps. Every day she was in the wheel chair for most of the day....in the kitchen giving orders

We even got some portable oxygen and took her for some car rides during this time. She never complained of any pain at all.

About two days before she passed, she stopped eating. We knew then, the end was coming. She was a little more lethargic and resting more. On her last day, we could tell her lungs were filling rapidly. But again, she didn't complain of any pain.

I was holding her hand as she took her last breath. It is a moment I will never forget. I was able to be with my mom in her death, as she was with me when my life began.

Hospice will not let your sister suffer any pain. I do believe once you make the call to hospice, the ONC will no longer be involved as you have basically said "no more treatment". It might take hospice a few days to get the meds right to make your sis comfortable, but once they get the right doses, it's clear sailing.

Appreciate and cherish the time you have. God Bless

The Following User Says Thank You to Kiasmama For This Useful Post:
MATAYA (09-01-2011)
Old 08-29-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User

My grandma died of cancer 5 years ago and the hospital sent her to hospice and 5 days later she died.

the thing with cancer...is it SO fast. She lives out of town so when we arrive a week prior she was kinda talking and could eat ice chips. Then when she was in hospice she was completely asleep except for rare moments where she would raise her arms and try to talk. ( I think she was trying to get out of bed).

Its an amazingly rough thing to watch your loved one go through. BUT hospice will give them medications to make the cancer less painful. My grandma was on enough morphine that could have killed a 'normal' person. She recognized me every time she opened her eyes. And then would drift back to sleep.

You can hear the organs start to fill up with fluids, that happened the day before she died.

I would say the MOST important thing is to be there for your sister, and make sure she is as comfortable as possible. Thats what matters. No one can really prepare people for this... just be strong and enjoy every moment.

Last edited by calidreaming; 08-29-2008 at 10:29 PM.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:29 AM   #6
(female)

likekfc HB User
Wink Re: end of life, small cell lung cancer, what to expect

Hi
I have small cell lung cancer in addition to very sever copd so my breathing is very bad on 02 24/7.. I started Chemo and raidation last week. but all the info I can find is not good for surival rate beyond 1 year. The Chemp knocked me for a loop big time. From what I read your air way get shout off and you get this stuff both ib your brain, and bosns. Sound like a very bad death. I thank you all for giving me some hope.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:32 AM   #7
(female)

likekfc HB User
Wink Re: end of life, small cell lung cancer, what to expect

Hi
I have small cell lung cancer in addition to very sever copd so my breathing is very bad on 02 24/7.. I started Chemo and raidation last week. but all the info I can find is not good for surival rate beyond 1 year. The Chemp knocked me for a loop big time. From what I read your air way get shout off and you get this stuff both ib your brain, and bosns. Sound like a very bad death. I thank you all for giving me some hope.

I would like to hear from others about this

Closed Thread