It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
(female)

bubblygoodz HB User
father died and i was not notified

what are my rights my father died and i was not notified

Old 01-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User
Re: father died and i was not notified

You ask what rights you have. The only rights are those of common courtesy unless you were listed in the documentation at a hospital or nursing home as being first call and they didn't notify you, then they broke their contract with so.

If it was a family member that was suppose to let you know and didn't, was it because you aren't speaking to any family member. Was it his second or third wife, etc.

Unfortunately when a parent moves away from their children and doesn't keep in contact with them or does so less and less, their children don't have any legal rights only moral ones and they are the easiest to break.

IF your father had a will and you were named in it and that will is probated without you knowing about the terms or what was to be given to you was not provided, you have legal recourse and I would call the courthouse and ask how you file whatever court action you can take. if your father had a will and you are not named as a beneficiary of anything from his estate, you will not be notified of anything or given anything unless the person who is to inherit feels pity on you and lets you have something to remember them by.

Therefore the answer for you is not what you want to hear but as I said, "you have no rights when it comes to your parent", unless you were named his guardian and/or his medical directive/living will stated that you were the one empowered to make decisions should be have been incapable.

I'm sorry for giving you this bad news
CaringSister54

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread