It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Affected by seeing someone dead

I work in ER but im not medical staff.

We still have to make visits to the resus dept to take notes etc to the doctors.

Today i walked into the staff entrance and i always walk in tentively, today i did the same and was faced with a patient who was on a bed with no curtain around him. He was young and had died of cardiac failure due to an overdose that he refused to be treated for.

I just need to vent as it really upset me. I have seen a few dead people but they were elderly and that makes things easier, but this guy was in his forties, and because of the circumstances it made it worse.

I just cant get out of my head the sight of his face. It was contorted and i thought when people die they look peaceful. This guy look pained and tortured and almost gruesome.

Sorry but at the moment its haunting me, im sure ill be fine in a few days, it was just quite a shock for me.

thanks for reading and letting me vent.

Last edited by Worrybucket; 02-11-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Effected by seeing someone dead

I understand what you are going through. Death does not make a pretty picture, and is certainly not a thing you want running through your mind.

I had a similar experience when I found a roommate dead in his room. It haunted me at first, but now that time has passed my only memory of him is good.

Give yourself some time, and I bet things go back to normal. Since your job exposes you to life and death, I hope you can process this...it may happen again.

Be patient with yourself, I think you made a good choice by letting it out in your post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
(male)

dustydigger HB User
Re: Affected by seeing someone dead

In all seriousness, I would suggest that you find another line of work. It doesn't sound like your distress is worth the money you get paid.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User

Actually the $$ you make working in a hospital makes it worth it usually...usually. I make around 3x the money then I would normaly make working outside of the hospital....so yes some days are hellish and the younger the person is the harder it is to deal with ..but it is a fact of life that death comes to us all at one point or another. And no matter how often I see I it still saddens me and I'm glad it does. It makes us all a little more human ....
I find it even harder if the person is close to my age because it makes me remember my own mortality...was the patient lose to your age ?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

Yes he was....

He had been suffering from depression and had wanted to die. He got his wish. It wasnt that so much, although that is very sad. It was just the pain on his face, contorted pain, and his colour was awful too. I think i have only seen 2 dead people in 2 years so it was shocking. I still love my job, and certainly wouldnt give it up.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User

It's sad to say but in this enconmy there has to be alot wrong with a job in order to leave it But I'm glad u like yours !! Two deaths in two years ...you must work in a very small hospital, I've been at mine for 15 months and have seen way to many to count.but i remember each and everyone sadly.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:41 AM   #7
(male)

Blackjack113 HB User

I worked in an emergency department for years. I think the sad fact about seeing death is that you have see it a few times before you can wrap your brain and emotions around what you are seeing and feeling. This sounds awful for me to say but I have lost count of how many deaths I've seen. But once I accidently walked into an autopsy (long story) but my brain couldn't process what I was seeing fast enough. I've lost count of the deaths but I sure remember the autopsy. I sure sound creepy here but I think people just learn to live with what they see if they see it enough.

As far as expressions on people face.. Sometimes they are very calm sometimes (particulary with drug overdoses) (at least in my exprience) fear and pained looks are more common.

So let me end this with a happy note:
When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not kicking and screaming like the other people he was driving in his car.

Last edited by Blackjack113; 02-21-2009 at 04:43 AM.

Closed Thread