It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 04:27 AM   #1
(female)

Mindous HB User
Exclamation My friend died of unknown illness....

Ok this is a long one so prepare yourself

My friend died this week from an unknown illness. She was only 20 years old.

At first her only health problem was being over weight and a back Injury from work. She received a cortisone shot for her back and later that night she lost her bladder control and went the ER. They said it was an allergic reaction and she'd be fine. This is where the story takes a crazy twist...

A few weeks later my friend is still taking pain meds and doing PT for her back, when she comes down with swollen and bruised hands and feet, and a rash. She is diagnosed with arthritis and begins medications.

A few weeks later she is not better and starts having painful joints and fatigue , lack of energy and random puking events. Then her hair started falling out. After 2 days at home without eating or using the bathroom she is rushed to the hospital with another strange symptom, her skin was bright red and peeling away! After a week in the hospital her skin rash settles down and her skin is looking better, she is only left with some odd hole type sores around her body, about 10 of them.

By now her hair is mostly gone and she is eating and walking again. About 3 weeks later she starts having breathing problems and requires oxygen. This same time her leg swells and becomes red, hot, and painful. This pattern moves around her body for the next 2 weeks all we see are random red, hot spots on her. By this time she is moved to the critical care unit and put on a ventilator because her breathing problems are so bad. She is on it for 2 weeks and it was turned up to 100% O2 but her O2 levels we're still droping and they said if she came out of it she would have brain damage. The family decides to let her go. We do not know the Autopsy results yet, only so far they have found Mold and Yeast growing in her lungs.

I lost my best friend this week, we we're like sisters. I feel lost without her.
I'm mostly upset because a healthly 20 year old experiences these problems over a 7-8month period and dies, and noone knows whats wrong! How could this be?

If anyone has heard of these symptoms before please reply, i've spent countless nights on the internet and can't figure it out.

Last edited by Mindous; 03-19-2009 at 04:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User
Re: My friend died of unknown illness....

I"m so sorry for your loss. This is an unfortunate example of why you need to make demands from the doctors and hospitals. They look for the "easiest" answer (especially with young and old people) instead of the right answer. It is beyond their scope to say "I don't know" and send you to someone who might. Instead they must save face.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for. {{hugs}}

Old 03-25-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
(male)

dustydigger HB User

What is listed as the cause of death on the death certificate?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
(female)

Mindous HB User

They put on the death certificate, Acute Respiratory distress. That is what she died from that night, but why she had it and all her other symptoms nobody knows...so technically we still dont know "what" took her from us. We should have the autopsy reports back this week or early next week, I will reply when I find them out.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
(female)

ovt22 HB User

did you find out what it was?!

Old 10-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
(female)

Mindous HB User

No we never did find out what she had. We still miss her very much and there will always be a big "hole" in our lives of all who knew her. RIP

Old 11-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

My son died at the age of 17. He had been having dizzy spells and even passed out one time, hospitalized twice (over a 2 years period) and they never found anything wrong with him. His doctor finally told me he was doing it to get attention and I told her "Not that one, I have 2 at home that would but not him! Something is WRONG, very wrong and you just can't find it!". Then he died.. The autopsy listed cardiac respiratory arrest and underlying cause as unknown.. We never did find out what gave him those problems his last 2 years or killed him but I have my suspicions that it was a mis firring of his heart that only happened now and then, like an electrical malfunction and it had to be happening to see it on any tests.

Sometimes though, you never know what they die from. That was the hardest part of loosing my son, the not knowing.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #8
(female)

Mindous HB User

These are very sad situations.............and yes "not knowing" will always be the worst part. I can never stop thinking about it, closure just doesn't feel like an option. I'm sorry for your loss. I don't have children yet but I still keep in touch with my friends mother and I definetly see how it affects parents in a whole different way.....it's just sad.....

Closed Thread