It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
(female)

Guest2009 HB User
What to do after a loved one dies?

We had a recent death of an uncle who is single and has no other living family. We don't even know if he has a will or life insurance policies. We are proceeding with planning a nice funeral, etc., because he deserves it. We love him dearly. We just don't know what we should do now. All the information I've found is what a spouse should do. We don't know if he made a will. Can anyone tell us what we need to do. It is very hard to think straight now as it is. Is there any place that we can call that would have a database of registered wills or life insurance policies? If we knew if he had an attorney, it would be much easier. He had all his mail come to us until the past couple months, and I don't recall ever seeing anything in the mail from insurance companies, but I can't say I ever paid attention. I felt it was none of my business and just collected his mail for him while he was in the hospital. Along with this, I have no idea what his financial status is if there are any pending medical bills (which I am sure there is).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
(female)

vocalist1945 HB User
Re: What to do after a loved one dies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest2009 View Post
We had a recent death of an uncle who is single and has no other living family. We don't even know if he has a will or life insurance policies. We are proceeding with planning a nice funeral, etc., because he deserves it. We love him dearly. We just don't know what we should do now. All the information I've found is what a spouse should do. We don't know if he made a will. Can anyone tell us what we need to do. It is very hard to think straight now as it is. Is there any place that we can call that would have a database of registered wills or life insurance policies? If we knew if he had an attorney, it would be much easier. He had all his mail come to us until the past couple months, and I don't recall ever seeing anything in the mail from insurance companies, but I can't say I ever paid attention. I felt it was none of my business and just collected his mail for him while he was in the hospital. Along with this, I have no idea what his financial status is if there are any pending medical bills (which I am sure there is).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
(female)

vocalist1945 HB User
Re: What to do after a loved one dies?

One suggestion you might try. Wills are recorded in the local court house, so you
might start there to see if he left one. Or he might just have it in a fire-proof safe. But I would definitely try the local court house.......even filed under
"miscellaneous". Hope this helps.

Closed Thread