It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #1
(female)

azblonde HB Userazblonde HB User
Question Grandfather is dying, need some answers

My grandfather is 90 years old he suffers from demintia, about 4 months ago he fell and broke his hip he had to have a total hip replacement, he was in a rehab home for awhile then he cmae home, he is no longer able to eat, he has massive dirrerha, he is now in a hospice place, i went and saw him on saturday and what i saw made me wonder,, his eyes are cloudy white and glassy, he has lost so much weight, his face is very sucken in, he now has a infection in his rectum and his rectum is starting to protrude out of his body, he has also just developed thrush, he sleeps alot, i have never had to go thru anything like this at all, my other grandparents passed away quick, in a way the family wishes he just go to sleep and not wake up, i feel bad saying that but seeing him in that condition you know deep down in your heart he would be better off, are these signs that he showing normal or is he near the end??? Again i am so unfamiliar with any of this any help with these ?? Would be appricated

Old 04-21-2009, 03:32 AM   #2
(female)

Nikikita HB User
Re: Grandfather is dying, need some answers

So very sad and I feel for you. My dad passed on last year at the age of 92 and eventually he slipped into a coma. It was so sad to see him this way and he started to dehydrate due to loss of fluids and had to be hospitalised. It did not take long but I can assure you this, being there, giving him TLC as much as you can, even when in a coma, he will still hear you. He needs to know that his loved ones are there and he also needs a lot of love and care.........my thoughts are with you, it wont be long but make it beautiful for him!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

your grandfather is on the last days of his earthly presence, I'm sorry.

The loss of weight, inability to eat, etc. will cause organ failure and it will take place within 2 - 3 weeks of where you describe he is now.

Everything you see is normal. I could not see my mother like that. I just needed to know that she was being taken care of and I never went back. Do I regret it, no -- I want to make sure the thoughts of my mother was as she was years ago, not days before she passed.

If you and others do go, please let him know that its okay for him to go to God that you will all be okay. he needs to hear this.

CaringSister54

Old 04-22-2009, 12:36 AM   #4
(female)

Carring sister
thank you so much for your kind words,, i live about 90 miles from where my grandfather is and the visit i had on saturday will probally be the only one for me,, i asked my aunt has anyone told him that it was okay to go, that everyone would fine and taken care of, she said on monday his sister went and visited him and admitted to her for the first time he is dying (he has never mentioned it to anyone before) she did tell him it was okay for him to go and not to worry about my grandmother, so now it is just a waiting game, i have to laugh he did say something on my visit that gave a glimpse of my old grandfather he wanted me to put his rail down and i said no, he said yes i said i do not know how to he said yes yu do, i said grandpa no i do not well he told me to get the hell out of his room,, so i left for about 10 seconds of course he did not remember, but yu know what i will take that moment to some it may seem weird but that was my grandpa and at least i got that few seconds of my real grandpa

Old 04-22-2009, 03:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

in dementia as in Alzheimer -- God gives small snipets of time where the real person comes through -- they are few and far between and sometimes causes those around at that moment to question whether or not it actually happened.

One day, I was standing in the doorway trying to have a conversation in such a way that my mother would be able to participate because she had lost her ability to talk in whole sentences or string words together that make sense. At this point, about 5 months before she passed, she was just making 'no no no' sounds or moans

Well, there I was holding onto the doorway and talking with her, when out of the blue she said "close the door" So clear, so like my mother. I had to shake my head. I immediately said "what did you say?' and her reply was to look spacey and just point without being able to make any sounds.

Treasure in your memory the snipet God let you have. Do not feel guilt about not going back and keep your memories by jotting down pertinent ones while they are fresh in your mind.

CaringSister54

Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
(female)

I want to thank everyone for their advice i just got the latest news it will probally happen sometime this weekend, he has now slipped into the sleeping 99.9% of the time, the hospice nurse stated that he has probally entered into the last phase,they do have him on pain medication and is very very comfortable, my aunt says he looks peaceful, i am just thankful he is not in pain anymore like he was before they gave him the meds to make him comfortable.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:01 AM   #7
(female)

I want to really thank everyone for their comments my grandfather passed away friday the 24th at 7 pm even thou i knew it was comming and i got the phone call it was really tuff, i know he is not in apin anymore, and i knew he would be better off but when i got call i got selfish and wanted him back, well i am all cried out for now, and i am blessed to have had such a wonderful person in my life.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:14 AM   #8
(male)

S3ntuhom3 HB User

Condolences from Scotland. Losing a grandparent is tough. I'm really sorry mate.

Closed Thread