It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
(female)

nice2nou422 HB User
Unhappy Loss of a pet

I lost my dog of 12 years on Saturday. It has been so very hard on me. I had this dog for 12 years. I knew she was getting older, but had no idea she was so sick. She had cancer and a tumor..she was eating and drinking water as normal...but she started to whimmper Friday night and I took her to the vet on Sat morning..where he confirmed she was dying...It felt like my world stopped turning....I feel like such a bad pet parent....I guess I should have taken her to the vet sooner...but it wasn't time for a check up......I just feel so sad ..this is the worse feeling......It truly feels as if I have a lost my best friend.....sorry...I guess I needed to vent.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User
Re: Loss of a pet

Losing one's pet is just as hard as losing a loved one. They give such unconditional love no matter the animal. I'm sorry for your loss. You weren't a bad pet owner. Even my own dog doesn't show pain so you don't know and didn't know. You had yours for 12 years. My first I had 14 years and the second is coming up to 15 years this July.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ssdd HB User

You have my deepest condolences. For most of us, our pets are family members, and the pain of this loss is deep and real. I've certainly been there, done that, got the tee-shirt.

http://www. * removed *

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-14-2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Please don't post links and/or instructions regarding commercial websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
(female)

jill60 HB User

So sorry for your loss. I had a little malty-poo for 16 yrs. If she could have talked & told everything I had said to her I'd have been in trouble! They are truly man's best friend.
another poem to read that is online is Rainbow Bridge.

Jill

Old 05-14-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

nice2nou422,

I have had the pleasure of several animal companions in my life. I have also had the pain of losing them. {{{hugs}}}

While you are mourning the loss of your beloved companion, you might want to consider that it is fortunate that they live for such a short time, in comparison to humans. This means that we have the opportunity to give them our love and care for their entire lives. They come to depend on us, and I think that they have a harder time than we do when their beloved humans die before them. They cannot understand. We can. We feel the pain, but we know that we have loved them to the end.

{{{more hugs}}}

--Rheanna

Old 05-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

Hi, sorry to hear about your loss. I was a vet tech for 7 years, and it is not uncommon whatsoever for the owner to have NO IDEA until it's time for them to be put down, almost always, it is found the night of their having to be put to sleep, animals hide their illnesses and we cant tell nor know whats going on with them alot of the times, and most of the time it is so sudden and unexpected it is difficult to have this end any other way. Cancer is rarely found early in pets, and is very common.

Please know there's truly nothing you could have done differently, and hold the memories you have and the love you have deep in your heart. -Rose

Old 05-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice2nou422 View Post
I lost my dog of 12 years on Saturday. It has been so very hard on me. I had this dog for 12 years. I knew she was getting older, but had no idea she was so sick. She had cancer and a tumor..she was eating and drinking water as normal...but she started to whimmper Friday night and I took her to the vet on Sat morning..where he confirmed she was dying...It felt like my world stopped turning....I feel like such a bad pet parent....I guess I should have taken her to the vet sooner...but it wasn't time for a check up......I just feel so sad ..this is the worse feeling......It truly feels as if I have a lost my best friend.....sorry...I guess I needed to vent.
I have to agree with what the others here have said. Furkids are very good at hiding their illnesses. My Siamese cat Opie had asthma for a couple of years. She had two inhalers and in all honesty...she was really good about treatments. She was ok until April 12th which was a Sunday. That day she was breathing hard but not panting and she coudln't eat too much. As the day went on it was just water she wanted. She was scared and moved around a little. she wet the bed a few times and I knew she was in trouble but I had no idea how badly. When I took her to the Vet the next day I found out she was in end stage lung disease and there was nothing they could do for her. She had just seen the Vet a few months earlier but she seemed to be ok then. There was NOTHING you could have done, dear one. I miss Opie like you can't begin to imagine but there was nothing I could do for her either. They wanted to run a bunch of tests and said there was probably nothing that would help her. Why torture her? Why do the tests? END stage doesn't get better. She whimpered all night Sunday night and I couldn't put her through that again. Opie was my second loss this year so far. I lost a best friend in March and another one Monday night. That's three. I don't know how much more I can handle.
Take care,
Sharon

Old 05-26-2009, 12:32 AM   #8
(female)

Anna1959 HB User

You have lost your best friend. And in some cases like me, they are my children. Dont ever feel like you were a bad parent. You did everything that you could. It is so very hard to lose our fur babies. I have lost many, and it dosnt get easier. But I have found that I have tons of love to give to fur babies, I wasnt looking for a new pup after I lost my most loved Doberman Pincher. I had him for 13 years and we were together 24/7, through good and bad. He was like my child, and acted like a human. When it was time after he had a seizure early in the morning, out of nowhere I rushed him to the vet. They said it was either a tumor on his brain or a problem with the Vestibular nerve in the inner ear. He could not stand let alone walk. I stayed with him until he left this earth. I have his ashes also. It was about two weeks after he passed that a rescue group that knew me had a large Chiuahua that needed a loving home. My hubby talked me into just going to look at him. I was so use to dobies that I thought this would never work out. But after I saw him and took him for a little walk, I fell in love with him. We both needed eachother. I still think to this day that my dobie knew I needed to love a pup and sent him to me. Even though they are diffrent dogs and breeds, he is very much like my dobie. I still shed tears, but I know that he is no longer suffering and that he runs with me to this day. Hang in there hun, time heals all wounds, it just takes some of us longer, and thats ok, you take all the time you need. I did one thing that helped me alot when I lost one of my horses a few months back. She was a Godsend also. I bought a silver locket and put a piece of her mane in it and sealed it shut with supper glue. Then I got a small silver heart and had her name put on the front, and Forever loved on the back. I wore it until I was past the worst of my grieving, it really helped. You can put a picture in the locket also.

Know that my warmest thoughts are with you in this very hard time.
((((Hugs))))
Anna1959

Old 07-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
(female)

daisy01 HB User

Can I firstly send you a big hug, then I will tell you that you are most definately not a bad parent. For a start your post just oozes with love and grief for your fur baby, you would not be posting here if you didnt hurt so badly.
I lost my little furboy Taz 3 months ago he was 14 yrs old and a real mummys boy.
He like your dog was fine, eating and drinking and playing normally then suddenly he took to his bed and would not come out again. We took him to the vet who told us he was in fact at the end stages of dying and he simply helped him on his way.
The vet also said that some animals simply just decide that 'today is the day' and they just die. Comfort yourself with the thought your baby passed knowing they were loved very very much.
I hope you feel better soon xxx

Old 07-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

ImSoWorried HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice2nou422 View Post
You loved and cared for this pet for 12 whole years, your pet depended on you and in 12 years im sure there was times you depened on your dog too, it does not just feel like you have lost your best friend, you actually have lost your best friend, just remember the good times you had with your dog, sure... shed a tear,, but also smile at the same time and remember the good times - i promise it helps to smile.

Closed Thread