It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
(female)

tinamarie0914 HB User
Cold Hands and Feet

I've read that when a person is near the end their hands and feet will become ice cold. My mom has stage IV colon cancer, is in hospice and we've been told not to expect more than a couple weeks. They seem to have her pain under control which has enabled her to interact with us a great deal more...she seems more like her old self than I have seen in several weeks. Her hands and feet, however, are ice cold and I'm wondering how long before the end does that actually start. Is it possible that she has become so much more alert and aware and still be very close to the end? The doctor has told us that he does not think her alertness is that last burst of energy often seen 24-48 hours before the end. This is all new to me. Thanks so much for your help!

Tina

Old 07-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
(male)

kevpark HB User
Re: Cold Hands and Feet

im not sure, but i heard that it differs with each individual. however, u and ur mom are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

i would not wait until the end though to reconcile any issues u may have with ur mom (if u have any. if not, that's gerat.) u want to say everything you can to her. if shes not conscious, u can still tell her while shes sleeping. it will be of great comfort to u that u at least expressed it.

i am definitely keeping u in my thoughts though. sending an e-hug to you during this time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
(male)

rekem HB User
Re: Cold Hands and Feet

There may be skin color changes primarily on the extremities - pale or bluish - at the end of life as the heart cannot circulate enough blood through the system. Eventually the skin may turn blotchy with a purplish tone - which may also occur on the face
During the last day or hours before passing the 'vitals' become erratic.

These are a some of the signs that I noted prior to my wife's passing last Wednesday.

An experienced Hospice nurse is usually very competent in estimating the time remaining.

It is very sad to lose a loved one - but everlasting peace is greatly superior to the ravages of the condition.

Closed Thread