It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
(female)

hlr891 HB User
My dad is dying with lung cancer

Hello all, I am new to this site. I read many of the stories and the support that you all offer to each other. I guess it is cathartic just to write your feelings. My dad is very near to the end of his life. He is such a sweet and precious soul. My mom is so lost...having been married to him for 53 years. She is his angel right now, watching over him at home with hospice checking in frequently. Knowing that he is dying has been a blessing and a curse...I got to say all of the things I wanted to say to him many times over but the slow process of watching him suffer is so tortuous. I know I will be fine...terribly sad of course, but I am so worried about my mom. I don't think she'll be okay. This is her love, her whole life since she was 19 years old. I will be there for her as much as she'll let me be, but nothing can replace my dad. He is just the most remarkable person....no one in the world that I respect more. If you look up humility in the dictionary, you'll see my dad's picture--he just embodies that word. He hasn't complained once since being sick and he went from being so active at age 76---playing golf 3 times a week and getting up at 4 am each day to work around the house. Now he cannot leave his bedroom, hooked up to oxygen and on morphine all day. He can no longer talk and he can barely breathe. He seems to already have one foot in heaven as he looks far away in his eyes. He asks for no help. My mom told me this morning that she asked him if there was anything she could do for him and he simply said "just love me". I am so sad, the tears are flowing. I wish this weren't happening --I wish he had ten more years at least for my mom's sake. Please pray for no suffering for my dad and for strength and courage for my mom. Love and peace to all of you on here. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
(female)

tazmaggie HB User
Re: My dad is dying with lung cancer

I am saying a prayer right now for your loving father that he will be at peace until the end. I also pray for your mother that she will be able to accept your fathers death & just remind her that he will finally be at peace & home with his father, GOD ALMIGHTY!!! May God bless & be with you also.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:47 AM   #3
(female)

hlr891 HB User

Thank you sincerely....from the bottom of my heart, for taking the time to respond and say that prayer...it means so much.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
(female)

scsmith72 HB User

Hello - I am so very sorry you are going through this and I will pray for you. We are going through the exact same thing with my dad and have many things in common with your situation. My parents have been married for 51 years and my mom was 15 when they first met.

My dad was diagnosed in Oct 2008 and did chemo and radiation and in September (after my mom had a heart attack) a decision was made to stop treatment and bring in Hospice.

We are nearing the last weeks with my dad and my sisters and I am trying to spend as much time helping and being with him as possible.

Hang in there and just be there for your dad... I keep telling myself that this is what life is about and that there is a better place for my dad to be...

Old 11-11-2009, 04:27 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

thisworld HB User

im saying a prayer for you and your mom right now. you sound just like my daughter. my husband was diagnose Sept. 2007 with lung cancer. he pass Nov 8 2008. he was my daughters best friend. she was 27. he just turn 65. hard worker. a professional engineer. Jessica my daughter was holding his hand and the other on his heart when he pass. we also lost our only son 10 years ago through sucidide. Walt my hubby would not talk about it. and the last 6 weeks of his life. he talked about Wally our son. the night before he sat up in bed and reach out to Wally. now my tears are flowing with you. we will mourn for awhile. but we will grieve the rest of our lives. i just turn 60. a young 60. and i didnt die the day my loved die. i thought i would. but life does go on. and they wouldnt want us to be sad all the time. they are worth every tear we shed for them. your mom will be very lost and sad but she will made it through. the only thing i can say is if i made it through losing Wally. i will make it through losing my love of my life. yes i will miss both forever but i know both wants me to move on without them. they will always be in our hearts. and no one can take that away. i will say special prayers for your dad that he want continue on suffereing. as hard as it seems. they are better off. how many times did i hear that but its the truth. god bless you and family.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
(female)

hlr891 HB User

Thank you and it does sound like we have a lot in common with our situations. I am saying a prayer for your family as well---for strength, courage and peace. Love and prayers to you and thanks a million for your thoughts.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
(female)

hlr891 HB User

You have been through so much with your son and husband--what an amazingly strong person you are to have survived this and you continue to move forward--I imagine your son and husband are proud of you. All my thoughts and prayers.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

Bless you and your family. I have been in your mother's shoes. I lost my husband to lung cancer some 11 years ago at the age of 46. We had just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary and like your mom, he was the love of my life. I know how hard it is day to day seeing your love one wither away. I want you to know that I strongly urge your mother to seek out support as there will be hard days that only one who has been in her shoes can help her. Family and friends truly want to help at a time like this, but until you lose a spouse, others who have not can not simply understand the impact. Sometimes a sympathetic ear is all one needs. I equate it to walking around with half a body. You know it is not where it should be. If your mother has computer skills, ask her to do a search for widow groups. I found the much needed support of others when I needed it most. She may not want to participate and that is fine, but reading how others are dealing with the issue is therapeutic. Also hospice can probably suggest a local support group, I strongly suggest she connect with others who have been there. It truly does help to know you are not alone in your thoughts and feelings.

I want to say how happy I am that you have had time to talk with your parent and tell him what is in your heart. I know that must be comforting to both of you. Take care of yourself and I want you to know that your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:23 AM   #9
(female)

hlr891 HB User

Thank you for taking the time to write that...your words are wise and I will share them with my mom. It sounds like you have done a lot of healing over the last 11 years, but life is never the same again I imagine. Walking around with half of a body is a very good way to put it...I think my mom is feeling that impending doom of that very thing. Thank you again for your kindness and warm thoughts and suggestions. I am going to cut and paste your message and email it to my mom. You are in my prayers as well.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

thisworld HB User

how is every thing going with you. i know you are exhausted.

Closed Thread