It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
(female)

marley86 HB User
Dealing with greedy family members after death of mother

My mother passed away of ovarian cancer about 3 1/2 years ago, and I have been dealing with a very greedy aunt and older sister that feel entitled to all of her old belongings. I realize it is just stuff, but I find it to be quite frustrating because I know my mom wouldn't want it to be this way. My dad has a fiance now, and he plans on moving in with her and selling our old house. So, now, the battle over my mom's belongings has really taken full effect. My aunt, my mom's older sister, just came in to town, and was over at our house trying to take stuff. My aunt has basically spent her whole life living off of family inheritance, and she is really into to collecting as many antiques and valuable items as possible for extra funds. All of this money goes to buying more useless stuff that she doesn't she need. While she was at our house she was asking for specific items that belonged to my mom, and was going around the house trying to find this stuff. She also pointed out old items around the house that might be worth money, and she told us that she would "hang onto them for us"; needless to say we were hesistant in letting her take them. I don't trust this lady one bit, and I think it is the principle of the matter that really bugs me the most. How selfish does one have to be to try to con the children of her dead sister into taking her old belongings. My grandpa, my mom's dad, passed away just two weeks before my mom, and my mom was to inherit $10,000 upon his death. My aunt actually had the nerve to ask where that $10,000 was to go. Your sister just died, and this is what you care about? I think I am just writing this to vent. Losing someone close to me has taught me so many things about life, and many of those things-like this-have left with an uneasy feeling. For anyone out there that is just sitting around waiting for someone to die, so you can go buy that new wardrobe you want, or get that shiny new car you have wanted-shame on you. Sure, it will keep you satisfied for a minute, but you know deep down what you are really doing. I think the belongings of my mother that might be worth something should go to a good cause. I am going to take it upon myself to sell it and give the money to a foundation that does research on ovarian cancer. All the other stuff we do keep will be cherished, and remind us of why we loved our mom so much. The rest will go to good will, and make someone else happy, just like it did my mom. I know my mom would think that was a good idea, and I think it is important to keep what the deceased would want in mind; I know that is what I would want.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

thisworld HB User
Re: Dealing with greedy family members after death of mother

you should keep everything or your dad. thats end of story. no explanation to the aunt. dont know your age or you have kids. its a good thing in giving it to foundation that is if you, dad and anyone in family dont need it. i go a high life insurance when my husband pass last Nov. and when im gone it will be split between my 2 daughters. that is if any is left. hahah very selfish aunt. but dear you are one step ahead of her. dont give her anything. especailly if you know she will sell it.

Closed Thread