It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
(female)

meringue HB User
need help for my Grandma

My Grandfather recently died very suddenly at home when my Grandma was with him. She is fixated and very upset by the fact that he died with his eyes and mouth open. Does anybody know why this happens, and if it is a natural reason which doesn't mean he was in lots of pain or suffering greatly, it would be good to know.

I need to be able to tell her that it's completely normal and doesn't mean the death was any worse that she witnessed because his eyes and mouth were like that.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User
Re: need help for my Grandma

Perhaps his eyes and mouth were open because he had a wondrous vision just before he passed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2009, 01:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: need help for my Grandma

It is normal for the eyes and mouth of the person to be open when they die...and that is because the moment you die you loose control of all your muscles there is no ability anymore for the person to close the eye or mouth so it opens. You never see this in any of the movies or TV shows because it is a more pleasant scene if the person looks calm and asleep...it is not a correct portrayal of death. All the muscles in the body relax at death... They also loose control of bowel and bladder. I am sorry that your grandma is fixated on the face and I suspect no matter what you say about it she will always see in her mind what her impression was at his death...she will carry that image to her grave as well. Just tell her that you are sorry she had to see that and that you understand it is a gut wrenching thing to have to go through. Perhaps time will lessen that raw feeling she has right now.

Closed Thread