It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
(female)

sadinstlouis HB User
Do I tell Mom her best friend is near death?

My Mom is 90 years old, suffering from pulmonary fibrosis and not in good shape. Recently had heart attack and now in rehab facility to get stronger before going home. She lives with my sister. I live 1200 miles away. Last night found out her best friend who lives 2 hours away (Mom can't make the trip) is dying. Probably today. Sis went to say her goodbyes. Mom was suspicious when sis didn't make it to rehab this morning. I called and told white lie that she had errand to run and would be there soon. Neither my sister nor I are sure we ought to tell Mom. Don't think we can keep it from her forever because sis often talks to Mom about visiting this person and occasionally they chat by phone. We thought we keep it from her until she is stronger. Should we tell her ever? Wait until she asks about her? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Do I tell Mom her best friend is near death?

Personally I wouldn't keep it from her. If they are close friends she would probably like to say her goodbyes-even if it is by phone. Having gone through losing my parents within 5 weeks of each othe, I know that it's best to let people know when good friends are failing...and you don't want to carry that guilt around with you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread