It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
(female)

Marty444 HB User
crash, surge of energy, crash, another surge is it normal?

My husband has stage 4 lung cancer with multiple mets to spine, bones, brain, extreme edema. He has been on Hospice since mid Jan 2010.
One day he is unable to even leave his easy-chair in extreme pain (sleeping in the bed is uncomfortable at times) less then 24 hours later he is up and about almost pain free wanting to do this and that and angry if I even suggest he take it easy, then he "crashes" again and can't move again for a day or 2.
This pattern has been going on for about 3-4 weeks

Right now he is jumping from one thing to the next. If I tell him to just calm down, he accuses me of wanting him dying and helpless, I like to see him do somethings but not so much he "pays" for it later.

He takes his pain meds regularly and never "skips" except the breakthrough meds of course are less when he is having an "up-day"

I have heard that towards the end a person has a surge or two of enegry, but never these multiple ones. I want to be positive for him, but I don't want to be foolish either and go along with him.

Also, I tried to talk to the hospice nurse, but each time he is there (these were "hyper-days") and she could not really talk either because he would not allow any negative talk.

Last edited by Marty444; 02-28-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
(female)

Marty444 HB User
Re: crash, surge of energy, crash, another surge is it normal?

again it just happen, he's passed out, sleeping in the chair, before he fell asleep, he was in extreme pain in his neck to his head (my guess is the spinal mets) gave him some morphine liquid (his breakthrough type). But this does not make him sleep because he has taken this med and cleaned the entire kitchen and looked for more things to do.

I just wish he could stay on an even keel. these highs and lows can not be good for him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

This is completely normal, and as long as he feels able, let him. My mother worked hospice for many many years, and then took care of her own parents when they became ill. The only problem with this is that the family becomes dependant on the idea that their loved one will allways "bounce back". There does eventually come a time of course when they do not. But, having said that, as long as he is feeling able, allow him to be a part of what is going on around him and enjoy these times of energy with him. do something together. It is completely normal.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
(female)

Marty444 HB User

thank you justmel30
Today he had a "crash" day. I just am so sad to see him like this, and then I get anixous when he is doing well, afraid he maybe doing to much. I worry too much

But your advice is excellent, I will try as much as I can to simply enjoy those days he is up and wanting to do things.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

It sounds like your husband is a real fighter. I imagine it is very good for him to have his bursts of energy. prayers to you.

Last edited by writeleft; 03-03-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

You dont worry too much, you love him. There is nothing wrong with that. Wishing you all the best. Peace be with you.
Melissa

Closed Thread