It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
jodiecoleman HB User
Red face heart attack 4-2010

I am deciding to go off all heart medications now. Medicare wont pay for them I am not yet in the donut hole, but my medication, just one, is more than what I have left. How do I prepare myself and my sons for death from a second heart attack. I am done with rejection anfter rejection for medications, cant do it anymore, im done.

 
Old 06-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 658
Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: heart attack 4-2010

Have you talked to the drug manufacturers about your situation? Many times they will help or even GIVE you the prescriptions if you ask.

I strongly suggest you speak to your doctor about your plan. You may "think" you will have a second heart attack and die, but you may find that you just get sick and more disabled, and then you will be in even worse shape. I know someone who tried your plan and he ended up with a stroke and lived several years with severe disability. That was sad to watch.

I understand your despair about the meds. They are expensive and it isn't fair. However, I'm confident if you keep trying, something will work out for you.

Call your doctor---NOW! Tell him everything you just posted!

Take care!

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
jodiecoleman HB User
Re: heart attack 4-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocallie View Post
Have you talked to the drug manufacturers about your situation? Many times they will help or even GIVE you the prescriptions if you ask.

I strongly suggest you speak to your doctor about your plan. You may "think" you will have a second heart attack and die, but you may find that you just get sick and more disabled, and then you will be in even worse shape. I know someone who tried your plan and he ended up with a stroke and lived several years with severe disability. That was sad to watch.

I understand your despair about the meds. They are expensive and it isn't fair. However, I'm confident if you keep trying, something will work out for you.

Call your doctor---NOW! Tell him everything you just posted!

Take care!

 
Old 06-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
jodiecoleman HB User
Re: heart attack 4-2010

I have for 1 1/2 months gotten rejection after rejection letter from the drug companies.This is the new health carre reform, that if you have medicare part D you are insured and don't qualify.The medications I need are in excess of 1,000.00. I am already on disability for bipolar disorder and have been for years. I have been able to get one of eleven medications from the drug companies and have been skating by on samples from the doctor. I feel like i'm done begging and pleading and want to stop.

 
Old 07-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 658
cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User
Re: heart attack 4-2010

Please send your story to one of your Senators or Congressman. Yes... many of them are useless but I think that the state of the country being what it is with healthcare that maybe someone will take up your plight. Please do this. Tell them exactly what you put in your post on here. The way you wrote it is strong and powerful. Tell them some details but don't change/rewrite what you wrote.

Nobody should have to go through this. This country is supposed to be so great - then why is this happening.

Please send this and hopefully you have a Democrat in your state as they are more likely to help you with this.

 
Old 07-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
jodiecoleman HB User
Re: heart attack 4-2010

I am the treasurer for the st. joe michgan democratic party. if it happens to me God knows what has been happening to all of the other folks who are dying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy1 View Post
Please send your story to one of your Senators or Congressman. Yes... many of them are useless but I think that the state of the country being what it is with healthcare that maybe someone will take up your plight. Please do this. Tell them exactly what you put in your post on here. The way you wrote it is strong and powerful. Tell them some details but don't change/rewrite what you wrote.

Nobody should have to go through this. This country is supposed to be so great - then why is this happening.

Please send this and hopefully you have a Democrat in your state as they are more likely to help you with this.

 
Old 07-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 874
resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User
Re: heart attack 4-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiecoleman View Post
I have for 1 1/2 months gotten rejection after rejection letter from the drug companies.This is the new health carre reform, that if you have medicare part D you are insured and don't qualify.The medications I need are in excess of 1,000.00. I am already on disability for bipolar disorder and have been for years. I have been able to get one of eleven medications from the drug companies and have been skating by on samples from the doctor. I feel like i'm done begging and pleading and want to stop.
I'm not sure how much this has to do w/ health care reform since I was dealing with these issues with my Mom years ago. I never heard back from any of the drug companies even before the prescription coverage came into effect.

Is your family at all mobile? And, if so, how close are you to the borders? I'd consider checking into our neighbors to the north and south as options. (Just read you are close to Canada....)
Probably be a lot less than $1K. Just trying to think out of the box for possibilities.

Regarding your original question, I think this decision has to be a private one. I believe in the right to make an end of life decision but when it's something like cutting off meds that could keep you going, be careful how you lay it out to your kids especially if they would go through the rest of their days feeling responsible for not being able to buy them for you. I'm writing this as a woman who wiped out her savings because her Mom threatened consequences if I "put her away in a nursing home" when her AZ became unmanageable. So I went the daughter funded assisted living route (huge difference here -- private apartment versus small shared room) and have changed my future forever. Please be careful your frustration doesn't bleed off onto the wrong people.

Last edited by resolution09; 07-30-2010 at 02:57 PM.

 
Old 07-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 34
jamjam HB User
Re: heart attack 4-2010

You don't want to do that hon. Trust me. I too have my problems w/Medicare, but there is always a way. I've found that if you simply realize that Dr.s aren't gods, but actually are supposed to work for you, and they get paid for it, then your sense of enpowerment will improved. I have told a couple of Dr.s they're FIRED (ooh, and they lose their mind), but if they won't help, there's plenty of others. And w/the red tape w/Medicare, I've found that if you just call another day, get a different person, and someone usu. will come through. But don't give up. I know a whole lot about physical and mental pain, and even tried suicide twice. I didn't go to a good place. But I'm better now, but not "cured" either. Stay on Healthboards. You're not alone.

 
Old 08-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
Newbie
(male)
 
komapro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: durham,nc,usa
Posts: 4
komapro HB User
Re: heart attack 4-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiecoleman View Post
I am deciding to go off all heart medications now. Medicare wont pay for them I am not yet in the donut hole, but my medication, just one, is more than what I have left. How do I prepare myself and my sons for death from a second heart attack. I am done with rejection anfter rejection for medications, cant do it anymore, im done.
I am in a similar situation..I have been off of my meds since March due to having no insurance and no way to pay for anything. I was told i would die without them but have been around for 6 months now without them..even tried to kill myself twice and Im still here..however i do feel worse off then I did before...I simply dont worry about it..let the ppl you love know what your going thru and try to live the rest of your

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Advice, please - an MS attack? juliesand Arachnoiditis 27 09-06-2010 11:59 AM
Heart Attack at 34! Dealing with the fallout? tyort1 Heart Disorders 4 02-01-2010 02:19 PM
Please Help Recent Heart Trouble diane552 Heart Disorders 17 08-04-2007 06:11 AM
How soon after heart attack can I excercise? tmgg Heart Disorders 3 11-20-2006 09:37 AM
How can you have a heart attack without blockage? hoosier_guy Heart Disorders 4 11-15-2006 09:37 AM

Tags
heart attack, no medications



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Phoenix (7), MSNik (5), slenderella (5), rosequartz (4), renko (4), Ivorygirl (3), rudiraven (3), beth468 (3), writeleft (3), EagleRiverDee (3)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1007), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (851), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:33 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!