It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
(female)

gcbpgh HB User
Question of broken teeth at time of death

Recently I lost my sister. I arrived at the hospital right after she passed and went into her room, I had not known she had died. There was blood all around her mouth and nose but what was worse was her mouth was wide open and you could see her teeth were all broken and cracked.

She died from liver failure and was waiting to see if she could have a transplant. She was on a respirator. Could this have broken her teeth?
Her teeth were not broken before. How does something like this happen? I can't get the image out of my mind. Thanks for any help.

Gcb in Pgh

Last edited by gcbpgh; 12-30-2010 at 09:19 AM.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Question of broken teeth at time of death

I'm very sorry for your family's loss.

One reason why a very sick person might have broken teeth is a seizure. Is it possible she had a seizure shortly before she passed? What did the doctor say?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
(female)

gcbpgh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
I'm very sorry for your family's loss.

One reason why a very sick person might have broken teeth is a seizure. Is it possible she had a seizure shortly before she passed? What did the doctor say?
My brother in law was not there and we have never discussed it as everyone was just so upset. My son and I walked in minutes after she passed. The nurse did not stop me from entering, I went out to get her to see what was wrong and everything was just a horrible scene as they had not notified anyone.

When I first entered, I had not known she died. I knew they had removed life support etc since they had turned her down for a transplant. No one else seen her as my son and I did, my brother in law is having a very bad time with her death. I don't want to tell him since he had not seen it or describe it to him. I was there about 10 minutes before realizing she wasn't breathing for sure. So all the images are just in my head. I don't understand the teeth at all. And I was trying to find if she was breathing so I was very close.
Sorry to be graphic...it was just awful....it is just something that will upset her immediate family if I want to talk about it to them.

The following user gives a hug of support to gcbpgh:
bubblegirl (12-31-2010)
Old 12-31-2010, 03:46 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

How traumatic for you & your son! I can't understand why the nurse or some hospital official allowed this to happen! I really think you need to talk to someone about this- such an experience could live with you both for a long time.

Is there someone at the hospital you can talk to- there is probably a plausible explanation which could make such a difference to you!

I'm sorry for your loss & the tragic way you learned about it!

Old 12-31-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I am heartbroken for you. What an image to have to have witnessed. There just is not anything to say to properly express my sense of sadness for you.

I would speak to the hospital ombudsmen immediately. This is a position in the hospital that deals with complaints. I had a situation while I was hospitalized that needed addressing and that was the person I dealt with. You can then expect a written response from the hospital, as well as documentation of the event and a resolution is reached.

As far as the reason behind this, I don't know...although a seizure is a reasonable guess, it is only a guess. You deserve the truth about what happened. Call the hospital to get the process going.

Again, so sorry.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
(female)

gcbpgh HB User

I am in Pittsburgh where we are at the mercy of one of the biggest monopolies of hospitals ever existed. I am only the sister. When I called once to see how she was they called my brother-in-law and complained that he had to assign a one family member to call. There was only me calling once.

The nurse who told me my sister had passed was more concerned with the fact that the family had not been call. My brother-in-law has taken her death very badly, if I called the hospital due to PA hippa laws I would be told I have no right to that information.

I just would like to know how and why this happened. My son is 31 and is not a child.
As only sisters we were close and I feel that's why I went at that time. Who knows but I will never understand how her teeth were all broken up. What did they do to her in the last few days. Thanks for your understanding and advice.

Closed Thread