It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
(female)

Jenwcoleman HB User
Still holding on...

My 92 year old grandmother has always been the sharpest little lady and knows more about whats is going on than anyone. That was until recently. She had stroke late in the night on July 10 and has gone downhill from then. Hospice is taking care of her 24 hrs/day as she has been 'actively dying,' but recently has hit a plateau.

She is severely agitated if awake, but sleeps most of the day. Her eyes are completely glazed with large pupils and she has pretty much lost all sight. She is hallucinating and talking about her mother calling her at night, she asks if we see her mother, and then also talks about a cat (she has never had a cat and never liked cats). She has not eaten since July 10 and does drink some thickened water, coffee and a little bit of ensure. But, very, very, very little. Grandma is still urinating a little bit once a day, but it has been very concentrated. Her hands are cold and her color changes throughout the day.

Also, she does have fluid in her lungs and her temp is below normal. She cried to me last week saying "I dont want to die, I dont want to die." Yet, recently she said she was ok and she was going to let us go.

All of the signs point to her death is soon, but her vitals are still somewhat strong. She is unbelievably weak and I do not see how she is still holding on.

I am not ready to say goodbye, but I know she would NEVER EVER want to live in the state she is in right now. I think she has had a couple other TIA's since 7/10 as her mental state is much worse. The hospice Dr. said that there is brain damage from the stroke and that there is no way she could ever recover.

I wish I knew why she was holding on, but we have all told her we will be ok, etc.

Anyone have any idea of timeline or how she is still holding on??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Still holding on...

God will take her, in His own Time.
Sorry you have to see her like this, it must be so hard for you.

Closed Thread