It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
(male)

dwmiresii HB User
Unhappy Als

Around 2 years ago maybe even 3 my Father In Law had a cold he just could not shake. He had been invited to a wedding so he really wanted to go even though a bunch of us told him not to and get better. When he got back he got worse and started to loose muscle strength in his right arm. Finally after a few months of testing they Diagnosed him with ALS. MY wife called me 3 hours after the appointment and was crying uncontrollably. It was the 1st time I was really shaken to my core of how bad this really was.

I have been learning alot about life and family over the last 2 years. As the disease has taken different things from him, his mixed family from 2 different marriages. He has 2 daughters from his 1st marrage 1 is my wife the other is my sister in law. From his 2nd wife he has 2 boys and 1 girl who came into the family all together we have 4 Boys and 4 Girls. We all have grown really close and have supported each other.....

Last Wednesday Morning he was rushed to a local Hospital and he did not look right when me and my wife arrived there. I had seen this look before it is when your CO2 level is too high.... They decieded to intabate him to correct his levels. Come to find out his O2 level was he was just not expelling the CO2 on his own.... Around 4:00 am they decided to admit him to the ICU. He was there for a good 3 days. During those 3 days they tried twice to remove the breathing tube and 1st time it was out for 10 mins the second time it was out for 10 hours. I think he really need to be with his real DR in Rhode Island so then he got shipped there at 10pm when the decision was made that would be best for him. During this whole time when he was awake he was talking to us through my wife with the use of an alphabet board she made him.

On This past Saturday morning my Wife and I got to RI Hospital at 6am went and he looked great. A member of his DR team came and gave us the prognosis. Now I am like my father in law brought up not to cry. After she said that they think they should try taking the breathing tube out 1 more time and then that he could stop breathing. all 3 of us started to cry. I was glad that I was there to take part in the most painful part of this disease with my wife. Knowing you could die from no air (It sucks).... The dr was really nice i have to say, she held his hand while giving him the prognosis and was very comforting even to my wife and I. After she left My wife started making phone calls cause they were going to do this the next day. I was in the room alone and he asked to wipe his tears and then he turned away then looked me square in the eyes. His look said "Please take care of her" (now as i am typing this I am starting to cry) I said "Ray do not worry, she is good hands, She will always be taken care of." I have to walk out cause I was soo upset and crying.

I myself am a DJ so I have to work even when I really do not want to. I had a Sweet 16 on Sunday night from 6 to 10. So I left Providence at 3pm and they still had not removed the breathing tube and it upset me grately. I had wanted to be there in case he did pass away for my wife but he did not, he actually went the other he was soo alive that he was using 2 fingers at times to spell out works and even sentances. Around midnight or so I arrived back at RI hostpital and for the rest of that day and all of Monday we stayed at there cept for the few times that me and my wife left to go home for showers. Monday they ask him if he would like to go home and he said yes, they planned it all out we got hospice all setup for him and everything like that. My wife is his health care proxy primary so she does alot of stuff for him.

Needles to say here it is Tuesday around 11am and we are getting ready to leave. He nurse from RI hospital says ok we have respatory on the way to help bring him out and my wife says to her I was told my dad would be getting a shot of something to help him relax and the nurse says kind of mean the Dr. never told me or ordered anything. Many did I want to kill her. Finally after about 10 mins she comes back and gives him a sedative shot. I go get the truck to follow the ambulance for the 30-40 min ride to my father in laws house. So I was asked to call the VNA nurse that is admitting him back into his home. She said she would be at the house in 30 mins.

OK so we get to the house and no VNA there yet, Myself and my Brother In Law are helping the EMT bring him into his room and the stretcher will not fit so they carry him into his bed and after that once he was on the bipap he start to kind of have a fit. So my wife called and the VNA said she was still 20 mins away and she said to her well you need to get here my father is starting to have an attack. I have never seen my wife so mad before.... Finally the VNA got there and got everything going and off the ground.

When we left last night he was resting really comfortably in his own bed with most of his family around.... Alot of people visitied him yesterday and tonight that will change knowing my wife.... I know that will probably be one of the last times I will see my father in law only due to I have dealt with 4 deaths myself in the a house.....

I am actually scared for him. It seems like he is going to need alot of morphine to keep him comfortable and that could get ugly.

I guess I just need a place to just express myself....

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: dwmiresii
CaringWmn (09-01-2011), Looking4aAnswer (07-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
(female)

dallascowboyzfa HB User
Re: Als

I'm so sorry to hear that.

Closed Thread