It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
(female)

Aur22 HB User
My grandfather is about to reach his time, but how long till then?

My grandfather is on terminal due to old age. I only overheard my mom talking on the phone when I heard that he was probably going to die soon. But I don't know when exactly, and neither does she, and since we live in a completely different state from our entire family, and none of my relatives know exactly or want to disclose such information, I was wondering if there is a time scale to how long someone of old age in terminal can last? Just like an estimate.
Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aur22 For This Useful Post:
123Laura (09-02-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: My grandfather is about to reach his time, but how long till then?

It's very difficult to say.

When a person is dying of cancer, the doctors usually can give a fairly precise timeline. But with other conditions that affect the very elderly it's much harder. In a lot of cases, it could be tomorrow, it could be months from now. However, being officially declared terminal sometimes means that the doctors expect it to be less than six months.

My grandfather was quite frail the last 2 years of his life. Over the last 1 year, he started experiencing strokes. Then one day he was taken to the hospital because he couldn't swallow. A couple days later, he went home, because the family chose not to use extreme or painful methods to force a 98 year old man to stay with us. My grandmother and my uncle were with him when he quietly stopped breathing not long after.

Take what you can have, is all I can tell you. If it's possible to go visit him, either with your mom or on your own, go.

The following user gives a hug of support to janewhite1:
Chenniappan (08-13-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
123Laura (09-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
(female)

pisczak HB User
Re: My grandfather is about to reach his time, but how long till then?

It really depends on his symptoms. But you can research end of life signs on the Internet. There is some very good information out there from good sources. If your grandfather is considered terminal by the doctors usually means about 6 months. I would suggest looking into hospice care. Hospice care has the terminal person in a family style environment where there are medical personnel to look after the terminal person and the needs of the family. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread