It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
(female)

D in NY HB User
Siblings refuse to visit father in nursing home

I can't control others' actions or attitudes but they sure can hurt! My dad is in a nursing home with health issues and dementia. My 2 adult siblings are refusing to visit him. I understand it is difficult to see him and he may not remember my visit after I have left BUT I can't turn my back on him. I know that he takes pleasure in seeing family and friends. I know we all feel helpless to help him but refusing to visit him seems selfish. This is really bothering me to the point that I may seek some counseling. It seems that my siblings are the ones that need counseling but as I stated previously, I can't change their actions or attitudes. Of the 3 of children, I was the least favored and now to see my siblings turn their backs on our dad....makes me so sad for him. Our mother is reporting that his health is failing quickly. One sibling is supportive of my mom but and the other is just totally disengaged. I know their reactions stem from grief and frustration for lack of control but if we can't summon a little strength and compassion for those we love when they need it...what good are we?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: D in NY
Rainbowbrite77 (01-29-2012), slenderella (12-14-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to D in NY For This Useful Post:
coffeemom30 (04-25-2012)
Closed Thread