It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
(female)

sonlove HB User
How long to dying from End Stage of Liver Disease?

Hi, I am wondering how long someone lives after given the death sentence of Liver disease. My son has stopped drinking from September 1, 2011 and now lives with this disease at my home under hospice care. His arms are wasting away, not much strength left. His hands cramp a lot. He never drinks water, but will drink coffee, tea and soft drinks. He is on Morphine, 15mg, oxycodone hcl 5mg and Attarax 25mg for anxiety and pain. If severe pain, I can give liquid Morophine, .25mg. I know all of this pain meds help his pain, but also know it hurts him healthwise. He has good days and bad days. His legs and feet swell, scaley, he puts 1st degree deoderant on his legs and feet and it really helps with the itching. He was told on Sept.29, 2011, that he has no options as he is an alcoholic. He had the same thing over 5 years ago, you would think he would quit, no, not my son. He did stay sober for 2 1/2 years then started drinking again. All his friends drank. I told him he needed to make new friends.

Last time he went through this, I doctored him back to health with herbs. This time, he is cold, can't get warmed at all. He is driving me crazy with heat here in Florida, where it is 72 degrees. I have to go to my bedroom and turn on a separate air conditioner that we installed about five years ago after Hurricane IVAN. I can feel his coldness, he always wants to hang on to my hands because they are always warm. He thinks that since his legs are now under control, not swelling like they use to, that he is healing. I try not to take away his hope for the Liver transplant because he firmly believes he will live and get his new Liver because he quit drinking. Somedays, he realizes that he won't live and trying to get things settled, other days he said he will live to help others out. He will be 49 in March, 2012, where his 6 months is up, and told his nurse that he would be getting a new liver in 3 months. She is very caring, never say anything negative to him when he talks like this. She told me her job was to encourage her patients, some pulls out of it, some don't.

My husband took him by the cemetary where we already made arrangements in case he died sooner. He did this before we left hospital. We weren't given much hope about his living this long, were even told to cancel the cruise we had because doctors didn't think he would live. My youngest son goes around crying about his middle brother. I told him this was a wake up call for him also. He doesn't drink anymore since his brother got sick, which is one good thing that came out of this illness. I have him on a lot of prayer lists over 6 states. Nurse is amazed when she comes and he is dressed, sitting in chair, sometimes with his feet elevated, she gets on to him about not putting his feet up two times during day above his heart. It just breaks my heart having to watch him waste away, even get angry with him knowing that he knew better than to drink again, i just don't let him know, I just go by myself and cry when it gets too much to handle, talk to God all the time for strength to get through the dreaded days ahead.

I try to kid him a lot to make him laugh. He is such a sweet loving man, never married because I told him I hoped he had 2 sons just like him. I love my sons, have 3 of them. My oldest son is in charge of his things and medical care with a Durable Power of Attorney over him.

Last edited by sonlove; 12-21-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
(male)

vreggie HB User
Re: How long to dying from End Stage of Liver Disease?

Thats rally sad to hear and im sorry for what you are going through. Your son will be in my prayers i hope for the best and just try to keep positive he made it this far he can surly doo it.

The Following User Says Thank You to vreggie For This Useful Post:
sonlove (12-24-2011)
Old 12-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
(female)

sonlove HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreggie View Post
Thats rally sad to hear and im sorry for what you are going through. Your son will be in my prayers i hope for the best and just try to keep positive he made it this far he can surly doo it.
My son survived this before about five years ago, but this time, his liver is dead, it wasn't the last time. He stays cold all the time, didn't last time. I think he has really done it good this time. Unless, God provides another miracle for him, time is running out. I love him so much. He said to me, "Mama, I will have another miracle this time. God told me it wasn't my time to go, that I still had people to help". We still pray for the miracle to happen again for my son. He is now at three months into this disease. He is wasting away in his arms, just hard for his parents to watch their middle son this way as he is living with us. We have hospice to help also. Please keep him in your prayers. Prayers really do help deal with this for all of us.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
(male)

vreggie HB User

I couldn't even begin to understand how that must feel for the both of you. I won't try to understand because the bond you have with your son seems long lasting. If you or anyone needs to talk message me and i will be more than happy to comfort. I do for you as i would hope to be done for me in a hard time. God Bless What is your sons name so i can put in a request for prayers at my local church?

Old 12-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
(female)

sonlove HB User

We are not allowed to give out names, but you could call my son J. They even changed my sign on name because I used my son's name. God will know who you are praying for. He is on many churches prayer list. Thanks for caring.

Closed Thread

Tags
end stage of liver disease