It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
(female)

HappyatHome HB User
How Long? End Stage Liver Disease

Hi, my mom has been dealing with this particular problem since 2008.
Before that she was diagnosed with Immune Thrombo Cyto Penia and she'd taken Prednisone for 16 years to help in the treatment. She had her gallbladder taken out in the 70's and they finally took her spleen in an 'outpatient' surgery in July 2008. SHE DOES NOT DRINK ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES! They finally told us she had hepatitis, liver dusease in 2008. Something went wrong with the common procedure. The same day as, she had to go back into surgery TWICE for this so-called common procedure. And she has never been the same since....anesthia does wierd things to the body, and especially sick bodies.
I've watched her decline ever since. She still got her hair done at the salon and went to the grocery store but she was Cold all the time; slept 15-16 hours a day (maybe more); sometimes she was confused, other times she was not. The past month (November 2011) she she stopped eating and started vomiting green bile liquids. She had an obstructed bowel. Of course, we had that taken care of but she has not ever gotten out of the hospital. They did a paracentesis and got 5 LITERS out of her. Two weeks later they did another one and got 3.7 liters. Two days after that procedure they put in another catheter (because she pulled the other one out)and immediately got 2000 cc's. Even after all that, she still looks like she is pregnant with septuplets! She is fed through the dophof (?); doesn't pass the 'swallow' test....now she has been moved to another facility (because we (Dad and I)cannot find a place to take her due to the dophof). She is not 'yellow' like all the posts say and I've seen her jaundiced lots before but she is not now...
I just do not want her to be in any pain at all. Is it painful?
My father is so angry - they've been married 52 years! He has not signed the DNR because he believes they should do something more for her than they are doing. I'm not so sure there is anything more they can do for her.
How much longer does she have? Is she in any pain?
Thanks for listening. It's been really hard on me, my whole family. This has been going on since the week before Thanksgiving.

Last edited by HappyatHome; 12-28-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: forgot something

The following user gives a hug of support to HappyatHome:
OR1234 (01-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
(female)

pegkro HB Userpegkro HB Userpegkro HB User
Re: How Long? End Stage Liver Disease

As a retired RN, I empathize with you and your father. It is difficult to see someone you love going through something like this and are not able to make a difference. It is not easy to decide for someone else about a DNR order, but you both need to ask yourselves the question " what would she want us to do". I will keep you in my prayers. The question you are asking can not be answered with a specific time. As she gets weaker, her organs will eventually start to shut down. God Bless you both. Sincerely, Peggy

Closed Thread