It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
(female)

becklinn77 HB User
How much longer?

My grandma 92 had been on dialysis 3+years. A series of health problems (broken ankle, c-diff, 2 strokes, heart attack) left her so weak and mentally changed that we decided to discontinue dialysis. The doctors at that time said that in her condition they expected her to pass within a week. They also said it would be peaceful and pain free. Neither of these predictions came to be.

It has been 3 weeks. She is in pain. She began refusing everything by mouth a week and a half ago. Nurses have to force her to take the morphine, but we do not force food or liquids. She has been having lots of diarrhea and vomiting for a week now. It seems she should have lost enough fluids to totally dehydrate a healthy person.

I research on the internet and see things like "3-5 days without fluids" and that is without even considering the fluid loss she has going on, or the toxins building up without dialysis.

This is so hard to watch. We are staying with her 24/7. How much longer could it possibly be?

Old 02-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: How much longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by becklinn77 View Post
The doctors at that time said that in her condition they expected her to pass within a week. They also said it would be peaceful and pain free. Neither of these predictions came to be.

It has been 3 weeks. She is in pain.
This is so hard to watch. We are staying with her 24/7. How much longer could it possibly be?
Hello becklinn77,

I know it's a difficultly draining experience for all concerned but nothing will happen before its time.

I remember watching my mother in so much pain that she would moan in her sleep.There I was,praying to my Maker that she just be set free of this agony.Long story short,my prayers were answered and I was left with a void.

Try to be as comforting and assuring as you can be(under the circumstance) and try not to let on that it's taking a toll on you.

May she soon find the peace that she is so deserving of.

Somberly stated,
Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread