It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
(female)

soulmate4ever HB User
My husband is dying....

Hi..This is my first post on here, or anywhere. I just want to know if someone out there is going through this type of thing right now. My husband has end-stage liver disease (cirrhosis) and is not expected to live much longer. He was actually diagnosed back in 2005 (from alcohol) but back then he pulled through. His liver was able to heal although he was in bad shape and in ICU for a week. They told him he would be okay IF he didn't drink any more. Well, he went through 30 days treatment and was okay for 5-6 mos. then just stuck to beer-instead of his usual whiskey/waters. Didn't think beer would matter. Anyway, sorry to make this so long! He went back in the hospital Dec. 2 2011 and told him it was too late for his liver to heal. He hasn't drank since (nor have I) but even so...he is going to die soon. I am his caregiver at home and he also has been on Hospice since Jan.2012. They gave him 6 mos . He is really bad now-can't hardly walk with his walker even-feet/legs/hands are swollen and he's lost 50 lbs. now.I am so scared to think of when he's gonna die...if i'll be able to handle it. I check every night when he is asleep to make sure he is breathing.It's really unnerving and sad to have to go through this. It is a CRUEL SLOW DEATH! Has anyone evr seen somebody in his situation? Sorry this is so long!

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: soulmate4ever
Jow686 (11-17-2012), mommyfix (11-10-2012), slenderella (11-18-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
(male)

Jow686 HB User
Re: My husband is dying....

Hi soulmate4ever, I'm very sorry to hear about your husband and i know you feel. My father has end stage liver disease. He's been going through the process for about 4 months. It's quite hard to watch your loved one go through so much pain. I don't have much advice to give you, because i came here seeking the same thing myself, but cherish every moment you have left with him. Continue to love him and try to squeeze out a laugh or two along the way. Be strong and i send much love your way, it's tough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: My husband is dying....

Hello and my sympathies to both of you. I did loose a very close friend to alcoholism last year, and it was very difficult. It was a very long time coming, and the last months were very hard to watch. I ended up being his medical power of attorney, as his family had long since disappeared from his life.

Once the end was near, I sat by his side for days as he slowly slipped away. Once he lost consciousness, he seemed at peace, and was comfortable and out of pain.

Before that he suffered from severe swelling of his abdomen, which had to be drained several times, as well as edema in his legs and feet. His color did become almost orange, and his eyes yellow from jaundice.

I am just thankful to have known this wonderful man, very talented musician and wise old soul. I hope you both have time to forgive any problems this disease has brought into your lives, and can separate the man from the disease. All we can ask for in the end is love and acceptance, and to remember all the good in each of us. Letting go is very hard, but if you can do so with a clear conscious and open heart, it will make it all the easier for you afterwards.

I hope the very best for both of you and your families.

Reply Reply