It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
(female)

trein3 HB User
Father is in his last days of COPD

My father is in the very end stages of COPD. He was put on Hospice without any timeline given. He lives in a small town and his primary doctor is the doctor in charge of Hospice. We were told that Hospice is for people who are expected to live 6 months or less, but if they survive past the 6 months then a Hospice order can be renewed for another 6 months. They said that by putting my father on Hospice it is not saying that he will actually live 6 months or less. Sadly he is in the very end stage and has not eaten anything or had anything to drink for 9 days now. We didn't expect him to last this long, but now we are just waiting for the last breath.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
(female)

1eunice HB User
Re: End stages of COPD and Hospice

My husband finally died last November. It was so peaceful. He didn't have a COPD episode or cough or anything. He just lay there breathing with his mouth open for a few hours. Sometimes he was awake, and took liquids, but he didn't know me. He would react to me but not realizing who I was. I miss the no goodby.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
(female)

trein3 HB User
Father is in his last days of COPD

My father is in his last days of COPD. We are doing everything we can with the help of Hospice. We have been giving him suppositories every 4 hours with Morphine, Haldol, and Xanax in them, when he seems to be having trouble breathing or is in pain we also give in 1 mil. of Morphine up to every hour and the Hospice nurse will come by and give him a shot of Haldol if he isn't relaxing up to every 4 hours. We have put his oxygen in his mouth since he insn't breathing through his nose anymore and put an extra oxygen in his mouth from a tank if he's having alot of problems. We were turning him about every 3 hours to keep him from getting bed sores but now he seems to be getting restless which I understand happens towards the end so we are messing with him the least amount possible. We are just trying to keep him as sedated as possible to try to keep him comfortable at home. We were also told to lay him flat on his side and it seems to help keep the mucus out of his throat.

Last edited by trein3; 08-04-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
(female)

dad1933 HB User
Re: gbm/copd end of life questions

It's was a year ago last month that we lost my dad to COPD and GBM. Things happened very quickly and decisions were made without full knowledge of the impact. Dad was in a nursing home when he began his rapid deterioration. If we were to make those decisions over again, we would have opted for Hospice rather than the nursing care center provided. There was no preparation given to us, to understand what would occur to dad and the affect it would have on us. For us, it was a ghastly few days that left us with horrific memories of dad's time left. Instead of him passing quietly as we had thought, it was far from that. I understand that you are now seeing some of what he experienced. Our major regret is that we didn't use Hospice. Although it's an awful thing to see, at least we would have understood and prepared ourselves as much as one can, for the end. I'm glad you have chosen the path you did, and that your dad will have you with him in the end. I hope that thought will be comfort to you. When I posted this, I was still in a great deal of pain and very angry at what we experienced. I was in search of information that should have been previously shared with us. I thank you so much for sharing such personal moments with me. I would be happy to stay in contact with you, if you would like. There are many wonderful people on message boards, and I have found several that have helped me endure and move on.

Closed Thread