It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User
Mom passed away today

My Mom passed away this afternoon. She had been in a NH for just about 3 years with Alzheimers and was doing okay until two incidents. In December she fell and broke her hip and a month later it was her femur. She needed surgery for both and never recovered.

Today we got a phone call saying she was bad off. Over the last month or so she would become comatose and you could not awaken her. But she rallied and within a few days she would be in the wheelchair and awake. Today was different-the fluid in her lungs kept coming up and she had the death rattle. We were there for about 3 hours when she passed. My Dad went out for a smoke and the hospice workers were in the hall. I was all alone in the room when she died. When she exhaled for the last time all the fluid in her lungs came out of her mouth and after a few seconds I realized she was gone.

Dying is not like in the movies-they don't just close their eyes and die. Being that she was in hospice I knew what to expect and I'm sad that my last images of her will be of her death. But I am also glad I was there at the moment she died-my Dad was upset that she passed while he was out having a smoke. Her death was not a peaceful thing-the body does strange things while it's in the process of dying. I know that she is in a better place and free from the pain and her mind is as sharp as a tack once again.

Once you have witnessed someone die and be there when they take that last breath you will never forget it.

Last edited by Realhousewife; 02-24-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
Re: Mom passed away today

I hear you when you say that the moment of death for your mom was rather traumatic for you, and I am so sorry to hear that you've lost her. Please always choose to let your emotions of being there at her final moments override what you have seen. You were there as she was ushered from one life to the next. What a spiritual moment. No one should be alone when they breathe their last breath.
God bless you, and again, so sorry for your loss.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: Mom passed away today

I am so sorry for your loss!! And God bless you for having the courage and the strength to be there for your mom!! I know exactly what you mean when you say it's nothing like they depict in the movies and once you have watched someone pass, your life is never the same again, that's how it felt when I watched my dad die and that was 11 years ago. I believe with all my heart your mom felt your presence and was comforted by it, just as I know it was the right thing to do for my dad.

Reply Reply