It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Degenerative Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Question Multiple Systems Atrophy

I don't know whether I'm posting this in the right section or not!?

My cousin has MSA (she is 65) At first she was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease about 2 years ago, but her symptoms rapidly got worse & recently they changed the diagnosis to MSA. It's apparently very rare & though some of the symptoms can be helped to some extent, there isn't a lot they can do for her in the long term.

I just wondered if anyone can give me any insight into this horrible disease? She is about to go into full time care because she now needs assistance with most basic things.

Thankyou for any input!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: bubblegirl
corinne7760 (06-30-2011), ssimme1 (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
(female)

ssimme1 HB User
Re: Multiple Systems Atrophy

Can I ask how long it took for them to diagnose your cousin? My mother has been sick for four years with no diagnosis.

The following user gives a hug of support to ssimme1:
bubblegirl (06-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

My cousin was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease after about 6 months of rapidly worsening symptoms. She had left work about 2 months earlier because she had trouble walking & sitting long hours at the computer.

Unfortunately she has deteriorated a lot since my first post & is now in full time care. She is now in bed all the time & has trouble breathing & maintaining a stable blood pressure. Her speech is very difficult to understand too these days & she has to be fed- & then has difficulty swallowing.

We have been told that life expectancy after the first symptoms is about 7 years at the most, but she has had it for less than 3 years & it seems to be worsening at a very fast pace in her case. Her breathing is the biggest problem.

Does your mother have Parkinson's symptoms? Has she been examined by a Neurologist? Is she in care? I really hope that she doesn't have MSA & that you get some answers soon!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
(female)

ssimme1 HB User

She's been tested for Parkinson's and it was negative. My mom sits just fine, the only thing she does now is watch television, I am thoroughly sick of Fox News and Judge Judy. She has symptoms of about 8 different things, but they can't pin point it. She's seen multiple neurologists, including the top neurologist at Johns Hopkins, she seems him every six months right now. She lives at home with me and my dad, which gets to be a huge stress. It's been about five years now, I'm in my last year of college and the whole situation doesn't help. I think my family would settle for any diagnosis just so we could finally know.

Closed Thread