It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Degenerative Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
(male)

peteuk HB User
my healthcare rights?

hi i live in the uk and have a degenerative illness, which is expected to render me incapable of looking after myself. I live on my own. I do not have a full diagnosis as it seems the law says they can withold this info, presumably on the grounds that it could be detrimental to my condition in terms of stress, or perhaps they feel i might be a risk to myself which is not the case, and there is nothing in my medical history that would imply this.

One of the problems with this situation is that some members of my family have become involved with this process, collaborating with my doctor to keep her informed of any developments, meaning well obviously, but without my knowledge until now. I wonder also if it is at their request that i haven't been given the diagnosis. For a variety of reasons i am against this process.

My doctor has no knowledge of the relationships within my family so i don't see how they can be accepted as reasonable/rational individuals without some kind of input from the patient. I have told the doctor and my family that this is totally against my wishes but they persist. It would seem neither my family members or my doctor will help me stop this process, so I would like to know what my rights are in terms of stopping this and perhaps what i have to do through the police to have them cease interfering in my healthcare. I must have rights as to who can be involved in my healthcare whether they be related to me or not. I am an adult by the way.

Beyond this query, i think it's totally unacceptable to turn what should be a simple diagnosis consultation between two rational people, into a deception that strains the personal relationships of the patient, the trust between doctor and patient, and in my opinion worsens my stress while i watch my health deteriorate. It's not natural to stop worrying about your health problems, but this way i'm left unsure, and having to rely on others to make correct decisions for my health. It's a really poor system it must be said. You have to be pragmatic about these things.

I would appreciate any help you can offer. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: my healthcare rights?

Since most of us here are in the USA and not the UK, I don't know how many helpful answers you may get. I suggest you talk with an attorney who specializes in elder care. I don't know what you would call them over there.

Closed Thread