It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Degenerative Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
(female)

Donna022 HB UserDonna022 HB UserDonna022 HB UserDonna022 HB UserDonna022 HB User
Fusion Surgery

I am 56 year old female.

I really cant remember a time when my back did not aggrevate me. I remember SITTING and peeling potatoes when my children were very young.

I guess about the last ten years or so, it has progressed. I have run the gammit, first chiropractic care, then pain shots, than 2 years ago I had fusion surgery on S1, L5, and L4. The dignosis was both spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease.

The surgery was successful and I was painfree for about a year and a half when a little nagging achiness started again. This has been progressing for about 6 months.

This week I went back to my surgeon and had an x-ray. It took him about 2 seconds to say, "I see what is hurting you. Come here and look." My L3 disc is GONE! His recommendation is another fusion surgery.

My question is this: Am I going to be facing fusion surgery every 2 years and this degeneration moves up my back?

Is there any alternative treatment outside surgery? I know my disc will not reappear, but any ideas on the course of action I might take to prevent further damage?

Thanks!
Donna

Old 01-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
(female)

Donna022 HB UserDonna022 HB UserDonna022 HB UserDonna022 HB UserDonna022 HB User
Re: Fusion Surgery

Very sad....266 views and no replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

I have DDD also, in my lumbar spine & spinal stenosis but no surgery, I am in a lot of pain and needing surgery, what I've heard about fusion (from my doctor) the disk above and the one below will deteroiate faster after a fusion with hardware, a year later seems pretty fast for a disk to be completely gone, was it not seen at the time of surgery ? after my cervical fushion surgery it was 6 years later before the disk above the fushion started to slip, there is no spinal cord at that level so I might get a second opinion there might be other options short of surgery, if the disk is completely gone , I would ask my doctor about other treatment options it is certainly worth looking into
feel free to write back and ask more questions
wishing you all the luck

Old 01-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

The reason your aren't getting many replies is that most people with back problems like yours, post on the Back Problems board. Degenerative Diseases is really for illnesses that are degenerative and not degenerative disk disease which is orthopedic.

Try posting there and I bet you hear from lots of people pretty quickly.

Jenny(fused C3 to t1)

BTW, we neck people post on the Spinal Cord Disorders board.

Last edited by jennybyc; 01-24-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: forgot

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
capatga (01-24-2012)
Closed Thread