It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Degenerative Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

Kay1963 HB User
Question about myelopathy

Hi,

I have DDD, osteoarthritis, cord flattening, moderately-severe cervical canal stenosis and mild/moderate foraminal narrowing.

My MRI says everything is normal within the scope of signal intensity.

I'm having symptoms that are strongly associated with myelopathy.

My question is this: Can you have myelopathy without interference with signal intensity? The cord flattening is concerning, as is everything else.

Everyone I've talked to about this, doesn't seem to think the cord flattening is a big deal, nor the osteo, nor the stenosis....yet it's affecting me. This is very invalidating.

I have a lot of pain and weird symptoms that continue to progress. I'm still awaiting a referral to a neurosurgeon.

Just would like an opinion on this.

Thanks

Old 04-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
(female)

mccoolcat59 HB User
Cool Re: Question about myelopathy

Hi there. I am no doctor, so don't even take anything I say to heart without verifying it. I am just someone who was finally diagnosed with cervical spondolytic myelopathy, and I will tell you my story. Around 2008 my hands started getting painful after writing, and my lower back really hurt. My neck could barely turn, but without much in the way of pain. Also legs just seemed to tire really easily. My doc sent me for x rays on hands, lumbar, cervical, etc... Found nothing wrong with hands. Found DDD in lumbar and cervical. Was told just age related. That was September. By December could not stand without pain for longer than 10 minutes or so, hands still hurt, could not still turn neck. Brushed it off. By March, started getting to where I could not even turn over in bed without pain, and inner thigh in constant pain on right. Doc sent for hip x rays. Turns out needed new hip. Had that Aug. 2009, did not ease problems at all after recovery. Hip was alright. Doc sent me for lumbar/cervical mri. Lumbar showed a couple of small herniated discs and bulging discs, and retrolisthesis. Cervical showed bulging discs between c4 and c6 and stenosis c5 c6. By then my left arm had sone "dead" areas, and last three fingers and half of palm kind of "dead". EEG showed possible cubital tunnel with chronic ulnar nerve damage. Went for PT to help ROM, as by then could barely turn head. After 9 visits that did nothing I quit. Had lumbar ESI with no relief. Sciatic type issue to where it really hurt to walk anywhere. Sent for another MRI in 2011 per spine surgeon request, but found female issues that resulted in TAh, so visit to surgeon never happened. Then, Jan 2012, husband insurance changed to Kaiser. Had to start all over again. See primary, referred to physical therapy, etc....Finally a new MRI showed cervical disc bulges, etc, along with the stenosis, and c5 c6 severe neuroforaminal stenosis with thecal sac compression and mildly indents spinal cord. Sent to surgeon. Diagnosed my with myelopathy. Permanent damage to my spinal cord. Severe balance and reflex issues. Proposes posterior laminoplasy along with c5 c6 fusion. I have also had other issues I do not know if related, such as chills tht aren't really chills down back of my body, dizziness, bowel urgency. Surgeon says that anythting below level of damage can be affected. Sorry for rambling, but to answer your question, just because radiologist says there is no issue, does not mean that there isn't one! Request a surgeon. Mine also did CT scan, and a flexion/extension x ray. Had second opinion that agreed with diagnosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply