It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Degenerative Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
(female)

Mathlian HB User
Unhappy Multiple Level Disc Degeneration and Protrusion without Neurological Comprmise

Hi I am new to all this so please be kind and patient with me I am a 51yr old lady & have not long ago been told by my Dr that my spine is in a very way & all they can do for me is pain relief I am too frightened to ask if I am going to die with this / is it going to kill me , the pain killers he has given me are not working & pain clinic appointment is 12-13wks away dose any one else have this ? or have I come onto the wrong place

The following user gives a hug of support to Mathlian:
sjb (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Multiple Level Disc Degeneration and Protrusion without Neurological Comprmise

Greetings! I want to welcome you to the Health Boards! I am sorry about all the pain my sympathies. Peace, sjb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
(female)

chikia HB User
Re: Multiple Level Disc Degeneration and Protrusion without Neurological Comprmise

Hi! I'm new to all this too. Had an MRI confirm ddd also. Had phys therapy and it helped a little and stregthening my core muscles to support my spine is my goal. I am scheduled to have an epidural (cortisone shot), I cant function with the exhausting pain. All I can say is I feel your pain. I hope you manage to find some level of comfort with this condition. Sending good thoughts and sympathy to you!

The following user gives a hug of support to chikia:
sjb (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings, Drinking more water may help lift the vertabrae upwards off the nerves because it would fill the discs with the water resulting in less or no pain. Personally I would not want an epidural for the spine because they are being blamed for spinal stenosis later on. Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 04-15-2013 at 06:24 AM. Reason: addition made

Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
(female)

Paininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB User

The thing about the epidural is steroids can cause osteoporosis, so using it to treat inflammation in the spine is kind of a scary thought, but that's why you can only have so many a year. Some people do get wonderful relief from them though and some don't. My PM wants me to have one, but for one I don't want one, and two, I can't afford it. I also have DDD so severe that two levels are completely bone on bone. Good luck to you!

The following user gives a hug of support to Paininohio:
sjb (04-18-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Paininohio For This Useful Post:
sjb (04-18-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
(female)

pecosdiamond HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathlian View Post
Hi I am new to all this so please be kind and patient with me I am a 51yr old lady & have not long ago been told by my Dr that my spine is in a very way & all they can do for me is pain relief I am too frightened to ask if I am going to die with this / is it going to kill me , the pain killers he has given me are not working & pain clinic appointment is 12-13wks away dose any one else have this ? or have I come onto the wrong place
My heart goes out to you. Don't ever give up. I am 55 and at 51 were right where you are. I tried everything within reach. It became a matter of 'me first'. Adapt your world to you as much as you can. I kept a supply of ice packs and moist heat packs and took them with me if traveling. Using a foot stool relieved pressure on nerves causing leg and knee pain. On the passenger side of my pickup I used something smaller to place my feet. Pillows to lay your head back on in the car to limit vibrations on your spine. And one to sit on. Stop strenuous activity. I can think of more but I'll post tomorrow. Learn to say no. You need to rest or lie down. I pray I can help with ideas for your pain. Sincerely J

Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
(female)

Anniewhereugo HB User

Mathlion, I am also 51 and suffer from DDD in both neck and back. I have radiating pain in my arms and legs, yet the surgeon says the MRI does not show it is bad enough for surgery. I do not put much stock in MRI's as 6 years ago I hurt my knee skiing. The MRI showed partial tear in the ACL and that the meniscus was fine. I went to the surgeon and he did a quick twist test and said "Nope, it's a complete tear" scheduled surgery and repaired it and also removed the meniscus as it was torn beyond repair. So, that said I think unless the Doctors are in our same situatin, they have no clue as to how hard it can be to function and make it through the day. I'm sorry for your pain. I also would urge you to continue with physical therapy as I have found that it helps maintain range of motion and circulation. Don't give up.
Annie

Reply Reply