It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2002, 07:22 AM   #1

JoyceAnne HB User
Post wisdom teeth

My 17 year old son had all four wisdom teeth removed on Monday and four days later his tongue is still numb. He can't feel it at all on the left side. He also can't tast food. The doctor said he used a long lasting novicane but this doesn't seem right. I am worried that a nerve was damaged in the surgery. Has anyone experienced this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2002, 03:00 PM   #2

hopeful7 HB User
You need to call the doctor's office and ask them if it is normal for the numbness to still be there. I just got mine out 3 weeks ago. However, the doctor told me that sometimes the teeth will be wrapped around a nerve. I have a friend whose father can't feel the left lower part of his jaw because his one of his wisdom teeth was wrapped around the nerve and when it was removed it killed the nerve. Hopefully it's just the long novacaine. It sounds like it is if part of his tongue is still numb. I couldn't really taste anything for a while either.
My best advice is to call the doctor's office and see if this is normal or not. Also, beware of the pain killers they give you. They made me very sick and lots of my friends as well. I just eventually took tylenol and got better faster. I felt a lot better after a week! Best of luck,
STACY

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2002, 03:22 PM   #3
Blue4U2

I don't think novacaine lasts THAT long.
Think maybe the doctor hit the nerve?

When I was numbed up to get work on my bottom teeth, the shot felt like an electric shock in my tongue.
That is normal.

That also sounds like the nerve you may be referring
to, in which case, must make it difficult to talk.

I would call a DIFFERENT dentist and ask if this is normal.

Best wishes

Blue

Old 08-02-2002, 10:40 AM   #4
Inactive

Nicksmom HB User
I had my wisdom teeth out about 7 years ago. I remember signing stuff before surgery that said there is a chance that they could hit a nerve and numbness could last for a short time or serverl months. In my case, they hit a nerve and I was numb just below my lip for a few years. I called up the doctor a couple months after being numb and he assured me it wasn't permanent....but it sure seemed like it. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about permanent damage....he just had surgery and he still needs time to heal.

Old 08-02-2002, 11:50 AM   #5

Shaman HB User
If a nerve, such as the lingual nerve, was bruised during wisdom tooth removal was bruised then the numbness/pain will resolve on its own. If the nerve was accidentally injected with lidocaine it may resolve on its own. If a nerve was actually severed, treatment is needed and the SOONER it is done the better the chances of recovery.

85% of these cases resolve spontaineously. That is why dentists feel comfortable telling people "not to worry" because 85% of the time they are right.

If it were me, I would question the dentist regarding whether or not he saw the nerve during removal. If they saw the nerve there is a mighty good chance it was damaged. I would seek a consult with an oral surgeon experienced in nerve repair sooner rather than later to find out if treatment is needed. If surgery is needed the best outcomes are for patients who receive treatment within six months of injury.

Do a search on "Lingual nerve damage" or "Burning tounge" for more information.

Closed Thread