It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2002, 05:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
Question Question about teeth/jaws

Can I ask you all something? When you've got your mouth closed, do your lower front teeth touch the back of your upper front teeth or is there a space between them? And how far do your upper front teeth come down over your lower front teeth? And when your mouth is closed, do you bite together or is there a space?

No, I'm not going crazy - I'm just trying to find out if I'm the only one who's teeth are where they shouldn't be!

Old 08-25-2002, 06:14 PM   #2

foofighter HB User
i have buck teeth i wouldnt know lol
but i think its normal. does it bother you??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2002, 08:31 PM   #3

gwle HB User
Personally, I have an slight underbite. Which means my lower teeth stick out further than my upper teeth when closed. Does it bother me? No, but my sister and mom point it out all the time! According to my dentist, it is quite normal to have a slight over bite(where your upper teeth stick out further than your lower teeth when closed. Depending on the severity of an underbite or overbite, it can be corrected with orthdontics and sometimes by an oral surgeon.

I have a friend who suffered from a severe overbite. He basically was born without a chin. So what he had to do was remove some cartlidge from his rib cage and inserted it into is lower jaw therefore pushing out the lower jaw. Recovery was a big pain for him! Had to have his mouth wired shut for about 6 weeks. Could only eat through a straw. Depending on your surgeon, you either get your mouth wired shut or you have metal plates attach to your jaws to aid in recovery.

Old 08-26-2002, 10:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
lol foofighter! What's normal? What I said? Yeah, what I said is normal, but mine don't do that. I have a 1-2mm space between my upper and lower teeth. My upper teeth come about half way down my lower teeth and they're only supposed to come a third of the way down. And yes, it does bother me! When my mouth is closed, I don't bite together, but I don't know if that's normal or not.

gwle, I've always wondered this about people who have an underbite, where their upper teeth are level with their lower teeth - how do their back teeth meet to eat if their front teeth are longer than?

I think I have an overbite. Luckily, my chin sticks out abit, but I don't have alot from my chin to my neck, if you know what I mean. I don't think my jaw is big enough. I had 4 teeth removed because of over crowding and braces put on, but that's supposed to shrink your jaw. I don't fancy having jaw surgery. Couldn't your friend have had orthotropics instead of jaw surgery?

Old 08-26-2002, 10:33 PM   #5

gwle HB User
No, because he had no chin what so ever! His over bite was so severe that when he closed his mouth, there was a big gap between his upper teeth and lower teeth. So he had to get jaw surgery.
As for people like me with an underbite or even an overbite, it is usually associated with TMJ. My TMJ does make it painful to eat at times but I've learned to bear with it. In my case, jaw surgery will correct my TMJ. At the same time, my underbite will be fixed as well. The orthodontics will correct my crooked teeth. I have a crooked upper front row(just four teeth!) Because of my underbite, I have a very prominent chin(but not a Jay Leno chin, thank God!) and a bigger lower lip. Supposedly my lower jaw out grew my upper jaw. Go figure!

Old 08-27-2002, 03:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
gwle, do you mean the gap between his front upper and lower teeth? How big would you say the gap was? I'm trying to figure out if I should be worried about mine.

Old 08-27-2002, 08:25 PM   #7

gwle HB User
yes, thats what I meant. Like an inch gap or so. It was a big gap!

Old 08-28-2002, 11:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
An inch?! Omg! And I'm worrying about a millimetre!

Old 01-10-2007, 05:55 AM   #9
(female)

reeswelsh HB User
Re: Question about teeth/jaws

I have an overjet on my teeth about 8mm, my dentist says it is because my bottom jaw is back rather than my top jaw forward, not many people notice it, but i did have braces when i was about 16 which straightened them lovely but now at 25 my teeth have moved, I have already had 4 teeth out before braces and just had a top wisdom tooth out. I am considering another brace again in which I have a consultation i 2 weeks... Will i need to have impacted wisdom teeth out for this to be done??? and has anyone elses teeth moved since having a braces... The dentist says I have rotating teeth ?????? I will have a permanent retainer put on this time.

Closed Thread