It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2003, 11:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Post Dry socket and estrogen levels - teeth removal

I have read that the occurance of dry socket is increased for people on oral contraceptives, when having teeth removed, due to the higher estrogen levels.

Can someone explain what dry socket is please?

I have to take a low-dose BC pill continuously for treatment. I really don't want this dry socket thing so I am going to stop taking the pill before I have my wisdom teeth removed, even if it means some other pain.
How long would have to stop taking the pill before the operation in order to get my estrogen levels back down? 4 weeks?
Also, I read to schedule the extraction in the last week of the menstrual cycle when estrogen levels are inactive. That is the week before your period, isn't it?
I don't think i will be able to tell when to expect a period after being on the pill. If my cycle doesn't go straight to normal will this generally mean that my estrogen levels are high or low?
I think that may be confusing to understand.
Do you think it is reasonable to go and see a general practitioner (GP) about these sorts of things?

Thanks.

Old 09-27-2003, 05:11 AM   #2

2manypills HB User
i dont know about the bc connection but i have had dry sockets and to save u the pain i can tell u what i know.dry sockets can happen when u had a tooth removed and the 'blood clot' that forms in the viod of the tooth, which is covering and protecting all the nerve endings in the jaw as well as the exposed bone becomes dislodged form the void.this can happen if u smoke or use a straw,it pulls on the 'blood clot'.it hurts extreamlly bad.and if it happens u have to go to the dentist and they put this wierd stuff into the hole (i have 0 idea what it is)and then the dentist has to remove the stuff later,so it causes extra trips to the dr.i hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2003, 05:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
So do they happen straight after the extraction or several days or weeks later?
Will I know because of the pain?
Do you know whether your dentist applied something straight after the operation to cause the blood to clot?
Thankyou for your tips.

Old 09-27-2003, 03:11 PM   #4

Shaman HB User
Do you smoke? If you do, it would be a muchbetter idea to quit smoking before you get your wisdom teeth out then to stop taking your BCPS. Smokers have the highest risk of dry socket and healing problems. I think you need to call the dentist or surgeon and discuss your concerns. It is a VERY bad idea to start changing your medication around on your own because you think it might help. Dry socket can be prevented and/or treated so it is unreasonable to stop taking somethig you know helps you (your BCP)in order to avoid something that MIGHT happen. Stopping your BCP is likely to cause more problems then it will avoid.

Talk to your Dr about your concerns.

Old 09-29-2003, 07:25 PM   #5

2manypills HB User
mine happened 4 or 5 days later.just dont smoke or use a straw and things will be ok.good luck

Closed Thread