It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2003, 11:54 PM   #1

lonelygirl HB User
Temporary filling after root canal

I had a root canal about 6 weeks ago (on October 3), and I have a temporary filling since I haven't gotten a crown yet. I am attending college out of state, and I'm on my parents' insurance. I went to my regular dentist a few days before I left to go back to school, and he told me I needed a root canal, and sent whatever documents to the endodontist (near where I go to school) so that the root canal would be covered on the insurance.

I don't completely understand how my parents' insurance works, but when I inquired at the denal group where I got the root canal about getting a crown, they said that my insurance wouldn't cover it unless I change them to my primary provider. I don't think they were saying that out of greed or anything, because they actually advised me just to go to my current primary provider.

When I got the root canal, the endodontist said the temporary filling would be fine for about 6 weeks, and I need to get a crown. I told him that I won't be able to see my regular dentist again until mid-December, and he said it would be ok to wait that long. The temporary filling has been ok, but recently, it seems like it's been decaying. Should I be concerned about this? Can I do anything about it? Is it going to be a problem if I wait another month before getting a crown? Should I call the endodontist's office and ask? I am worried that the work done with the root canal will be damaged and I'll end up having to get the tooth extracted, which would really suck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread