It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2003, 01:15 AM   #1

prasarita HB User
hard nodule in mouth

I have this recurring hard nodule appear in the same place in my mouth
It is small, feels like a grain of sand.
(upper left interior, near where the wisdom tooth would be if I had them)
It appears for 24-48 hours and then fades away.
It comes back anywhere from a week to a month later.
I went to the dentist when it was present and she said it was probably a clogged salivary gland. She poked at it and took a teeny hunk of stuff out.
Its not at all painful, just annoying. No other symptoms as far as I can tell.
Anything I can do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2004, 03:32 PM   #2
Inactive

lammys HB User
Re: hard nodule in mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasarita
I have this recurring hard nodule appear in the same place in my mouth
It is small, feels like a grain of sand.
(upper left interior, near where the wisdom tooth would be if I had them)
It appears for 24-48 hours and then fades away.
It comes back anywhere from a week to a month later.
I went to the dentist when it was present and she said it was probably a clogged salivary gland. She poked at it and took a teeny hunk of stuff out.
Its not at all painful, just annoying. No other symptoms as far as I can tell.
Anything I can do?
I have EXACTLY what you are describing. Ever since I had my lower wisdom teeth removed this has been happening on and off. (it's been 6 months now). Sometimes I get them once a week, other times it will be only days apart. I've been to several Dentists. Each says it is a cut salivary gland from my wisdom tooth extraction. My concern is, could this be harmful??!?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2004, 05:55 PM   #3

twinkleshines HB User

Hi there!
I have been in dentistry for 15 years now and we see many patients with these little hard lumps, which are blocked salivary glands. They are no problem as long as they clear themselves, although sometimes you can get little stones forming in them, but this would be very painful and the "bump" just wouldnt disapear.
I have one that appears on the roof of my mouth from time to time they can feel quite sore and very annoying as your tongue tends to be drawn to any thing like that in the mouth, but it really is no problem.
As long as they clear up things are fine but if you have one that lasts for over a month i would go to see your dentist.
hope this helps
love
twink

Old 05-08-2004, 06:11 PM   #4
Inactive

lammys HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkleshines
Hi there!
I have been in dentistry for 15 years now and we see many patients with these little hard lumps, which are blocked salivary glands. They are no problem as long as they clear themselves, although sometimes you can get little stones forming in them, but this would be very painful and the "bump" just wouldnt disapear.
I have one that appears on the roof of my mouth from time to time they can feel quite sore and very annoying as your tongue tends to be drawn to any thing like that in the mouth, but it really is no problem.
As long as they clear up things are fine but if you have one that lasts for over a month i would go to see your dentist.
hope this helps
love
twink
I thank God for you! Thank you so much! I've been in tears this entire afternoon as I found myself trying to self diagnose myself online. A lot of VERY SCARY diseases and conditions were popping up, and typical me I was starting to worry. I've had this problem on and off since I had my lower impacted wisdom tooth removed. Each and every dentist has also told me it isn't a big deal, but I guess my anxiety got the best of me today. Thank you so much! The longest mine has ever lasted for is a day, but usually it's just hours. What causes the salivary gland to become blocked? Is there anything I'm doing that could be contributing to this!?! Thanks a bunch! God Bless!

Closed Thread