It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2003, 11:19 PM   #1

grrlfloyd HB User
Lichen Planus & cheek lesion

Hi, I'm a 23 year old female. I've recently been told that I have Oral Lichen Planus on my cheeks and tongue. My mouth gets dehydrated frequently. I am going to get a biopsy next week to be sure. But one thing no one can explain is why I have a horizontal lesion inside each cheek just above my bite line. They are clean slices and have been there for about a month now. I've taken a picture of my mouth and it is located here: [url]http://www.grrlfloyd.com/lj/mouth.jpg[/url]

Any ideas what this could be?

Old 12-19-2003, 12:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User
Re: Lichen Planus & cheek lesion

Wow, I never knew that had a name! I used to get them a few times. Never knew what they were. But, I did some research and found out that toothpastes containing sodium lauryl solfate can cause mouth irritations like this and canker sores. I changed toothpaste to Biotene which has no SLS in it and ever since, I have not gotten any of what you have there or canker sores. Biotene also has a mouthwash and it's all sold at Walmart, Target..cost is more than a regular toothpaste...about $5. Biotene is also recommended for people who have dry mouth. Dehydration.

Some info suggests these "lines" on your inside cheeks can be caused by cheek biting..maybe in your sleep. Not sure if I believe that. I doubt I bite my cheeks.

Last edited by Abbey32; 12-19-2003 at 01:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2003, 05:21 AM   #3
Inactive

SuperFighter HB User

this line is called linea alba, it's present in a lot of people, it results from your teeth occluding so close to your cheek. It's nothing to worry about. As far as lichen planus is concerned, wait for the results and be assured that it's treatable by meds.

Old 12-21-2003, 08:50 PM   #4
(female)

upallnite HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFighter
this line is called linea alba, it's present in a lot of people, it results from your teeth occluding so close to your cheek. It's nothing to worry about. As far as lichen planus is concerned, wait for the results and be assured that it's treatable by meds.
I also have gotten this and had to use kids toothpaste because it really burned. The kids stuff wasn't bad really!

Old 12-24-2003, 06:09 PM   #5
Hi_its_Joe

grrlfloyd -

I have very much been wanting to take a picture of the oral leukoplakia in my own mouth. It is in a very visible location but when I tried to have my freind take a picture of it using my pen cam digital camera, the photo came out all fuzzy and blurry. I surmised that he had not use proper lighting and he suggested it was because we used a cheap, $49.00 camera.

Is there a special trick to getting the "perfect" picture?. Do you have to aim the light in a certain direction...does it have to be a certain type of light?...etc. I am desparate to get a picture of this thing in my mouth.

Thank's for any advice!!

Closed Thread