It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2003, 09:19 AM   #1

CaseyIves HB User
Exclamation HELP! My left front tooth has turned yellow

Hi everyone,
I am in need of serious advice.
I have always taken excellent care of my teeth, and have rarely had problems, just a few cavities here and there, etc..
In the past 6 months, I have noticed that one of my front teeth has begun to turn yellow-ish, and it is getting worse by the day. I looked at it closely this weekend, and I think there is a very tiny chip at the bottom, and possibly a hairline crack down the center of the tooth. I have NO idea when this may have happened, but I have a feeling it's why my tooth is darkening.
Honestly, I am terrified. I can't sleep at night, because I keep picturing all of the horrible things that may happen to my tooth, will they have to pull it, will I need a bridge, crown, etc? I have no idea what to expect, and it is really affecting me.
I just moved to a new area and do not have a dentist yet, but I'm in the process of getting recommendations from fellow workers.
I don't even want to smile right now, and I work in a very professional environment, so this is hard to deal with.
Has anyone else had this happen, and, if so, can you please give me a little insight as to what can be done, if the nerve is dead?
Thanks SO much in advance.

Old 12-29-2003, 06:47 PM   #2

Melisseeee HB User
Re: HELP! My left front tooth has turned yellow

Casey....

I wouldn't be to worried about your teeth being dead. Usually when a tooth dies, it becomes dark, not yellow. The crack you are seeing in your tooth is almost normal. A hairline crack in your tooth would not be visible to your eyes. Usually hairline cracks are only noticeable on a picture that magnifies your teeth 30x. Teeth have natural lines in them that appear as cracks.

If your tooth is dead, your dentist would do a root canal to remove all of the dead nerves and tissues, and fill it up with Gutta Percha which is a natural rubber material they use to fill canals during root canals. After that it is possible to get a porcelain crown, that will be an exact replication of your existing tooth which can be made to match your other teeth exactly.

Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2003, 12:19 PM   #3

CaseyIves HB User

Thanks Melissa, you made me feel a little bit better.
Unfortunately, I can't get into my dentist until 2/9, which feels like an eternity, since all I see when I smile is my yellow tooth.
I just cannot imagine how my tooth would have "died", especially the front tooth, as that is where I'm most anal-retentive about cleanliness.
Has anyone ever heard of just one tooth discoloring? I never have, but who knows?

Another question: Does anyone know the approximate cost of a root canal and a crown? I have no clue what to expect, and as someone who is paying her way through school, it would be nice to have some idea...I have SOME dental coverage through Blue Cross/Blue Shield, but not very much.

TIA,
Casey

Old 12-30-2003, 01:27 PM   #4
Inactive

Leanea HB User

Is it the third tooth if you are counting the first one in front? It should be pointy too. Sorry for my description. Anyway, those two (there is one on either side) tend to be less white than all the rest of your teeth and they may not even match each other. Well, if that's the same tooth I am talking about don't worry! It's perfectly normal and there is nothing wrong with it at all! Look closely at other people's teeth and you'll notice the same.

Old 12-30-2003, 01:43 PM   #5

CaseyIves HB User
Post Re: HELP! My left front tooth has turned yellow

Leanea,
I know which tooth you are referencing, the incisor (sp?), right?
No, it's actually one of my two front teeth. It's a dark yellow, almost like teeth I see on other people who are smokers, or drink a ton of coffee. My other teeth are not perfectly white by any means, they could use a whitening, but this one is much more yellow.
Thanks for your reply, though. Every one helps.

Old 12-30-2003, 05:18 PM   #6

Melisseeee HB User

Casey,

Usually for a front tooth to die, would either be from poor oral hygiene, or from a hard knock on the tooth, from a fall or something.

Cost wise.....
I'm not sure how much American dental prices differ from Canadian prices, but I'll tell you Canadian prices.

Root Canal's vary depending on how many roots the tooth have. Central Insicsors have one root (99.9% of the time, but there are always people with weird amounts of roots occasionally) And they cost around $400. A crown for us if it is porcelain fused to metal would cost $480 plus the lab fee which is typically around $250 plus or minus. If you are on a dental plan they always pay for root canals, so you will only have to pay the difference if you don't have 100% coverage. Which isn't too bad.

Hope that helped

Melissa

Closed Thread