It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2003, 10:12 PM   #1
(female)

whispergrrl HB User
earache from abcessed tooth

Hi. I am new to these boards, but after reading quite a bit on here, I hope to get some guidance....

First off....I will admit that I am a dental phobic. It has been a LONG time since I have been to a dentist. My teeth are in very bad shape now, and I realize that I need to have something done.

However, I will not be able to get to a dentist for at least another week.

In the meantime, I am in horrible pain. One of my bottom molars is half broken away because of cavity, and I believe I have an abscess next to it. It is a bump that hurts, and has some pus coming out of it at times. This makes my whole right side of my face hurt something fierce! During the daytime, I don't seem to have many problems, but at night....when I want to go to bed....it flares up again. I pop advil....but that doesn't seem to do anything anymore.

So, I try swishing with water.....which used to help with the pain, but not so much now. I also try hot washcloths on that side of my face...but that doesn't alleviate the pain either.

Now, the pain from the tooth seems to have made my ear ache. I can't figure out a single thing to alleviate this pain on my own in order to sleep now! I am desperate to see if anyone has suggestions in the space between now and whenever I can get in to see a dentist?!

Also...does anyone know why the pain seems to come at night? It isn't even just when I lay down....it is is just around the time I want to sleep....and boom...excrutiating pain!

I have spent many a night rocking myself in bed crying....begging God to take the pain away.....I just don't know what to do with myself!

I know that I need to go to a dentist, although I am terrified....I know that in the long run, there will be less pain by getting the problems fixed than by letting this go on longer.

Anyway...sorry for the long ramble. I am tired, in pain, and trying to figure out what to do. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
whispergrrl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2003, 05:27 PM   #2

indy gal HB User
Re: earache from abcessed tooth

I know what it is like to be kept awake because of tooth pain. I am sorry you are going through this.

Why can't you get into the dentist for another week? Because he/she doesn't have any appointments available sooner? Try to get in ASAP, and if for some reason the pain goes away... don't cancel your appointment. Go and get it looked at.

If you want temporary pain medicine, you could go to an Urgent Care Clinic. I also took up to 3 advil/ibuprofin at a time (however, drink lots of water if you do this).

Try swishing your mouth out with warm salt water... that could help. Or use an antiseptic mouthwash to keep your mouth clean.

As for your ear hurting, tooth pain can and does often radiate to other areas. My neck and ear hurt when I had an abscess, and other teeth also felt like they were hurting.

Good luck.

Old 01-02-2004, 09:14 AM   #3

dd50 HB User

Hi whisper,

I have the SAME thing .... and my appointment is on Monday, 3 days away, I'm getting the tooth pulled. I too hate dentists ... and right now I'm going thru loads of disappointments in my personal life .... and have lupus, cfs and fibromyalgia ... so I DON'T want to face this ... but I know I have to .... I certainly don't want this infection to go into my bloodstream!

I AM on antibiotics, because I went to see the dentist a week ago ... and he took x-rays ... saw the infection. For pain, this is what works GREAT for me:

1 600 mg. Motrin (you can just take 3 Advil - I think it's the same as Motrin)
2 Tylenol

The combo is perfect .. and covers the pain (even at night) for up to 6 hours, sometimes shorter .. sometimes longer .. depending how bad your infection is.

I've been on the antibiotics for 5 days now ... so it's not hurting as much.

Hope this helps!
Hugs,
Dee

Last edited by Well-come; 01-02-2004 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Removed slang/cuss word. Preferred words would be like "disappointments".

Old 01-02-2004, 12:32 PM   #4
(female)

whispergrrl HB User

Is it really safe to take that much medication all at once, though?! I am paranoid about taking 2 advil closer than 4 hours apart!

~whispergrrl~

Old 01-04-2004, 05:49 PM   #5

Halley50 HB User

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, but I used to let an asprin disolve on the bad tooth and it did help.

Old 01-07-2004, 04:03 PM   #6

catherineMae HB User

I have had a gum infection over the holidays and had to phone an emergency Dentist with my symptons, which were pain and pressure around bottom molars right hand side, and a swollen face. He prescribed anti biotics for four days, and I took Ibuprofen 3 tablets (600grams) every four hours for about three days. The ibuprofen (over the counter anti inflammatory medication) eased the pain very well, two tablets were not enough. It is now a week ago, and the pain and swelling is 99% gone. I am also swishing out my mouth with warm water and salt after gentle flossing. I suspect I may have a crack in a tooth, I cannot get to my dentist to see what caused it until next week sometine. But I am not in any pain or discomfort at all now. Good Luck!

Closed Thread