It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2004, 03:36 AM   #1
(female)

dquist091391 HB User
dental denture nightmare

I had to have all my teeth removed back in July 03
I was in a car accident a few years ago that loosened all my teeth.I was awake for the procedure,which was a nightmare,I felt alot of the lower extractions despite all the med's,anyway,doc left that sameday for a week.During which I had developed an infection and had a zillion pieces of sharp bone stabbing my gums.the dentist he refered to for emergencies was no help. once doc returned I had 2 more emergency appointments in which I literaly begged him to cut my gums back open and trim the bone.Because he never bothered to smooth out the bone on the initial visit.He did attemt to ease some of the pain but not enough he refused to do anything else. I just had oral surgery on dec.17 on both top and bottom they had to cut all the way across both gums and trim the bone. The big problem is that he did one fitting for my dentures before any work took place.I had protuding front teeth from the accident and an infection on the roof of my mouth.suprise my dentures are way to big for my mouth,he wants to do a soft lining then a hard lining so they fit,he wont listen to me that they are to large and I cant talk very good i whistle when i talk and I regret my decision to get dentures I look like a freak and have lost my self asteem,I'm only 33 and so embarrassed,I cant afford to pay for a new set,what would you do.

Old 01-03-2004, 07:41 AM   #2

sailorbysea2000 HB User
Re: dental denture nightmare

hi- i am soo sorry to hear about your experience. unfortunately, everyone who has to resort to dentures has some kind of nightmare story! i am 36 and had my teeth removed because i just couldn't afford all of the work they needed. that was about two years ago. i never could wear the lower denture ( sooo embarrassing) so i just had the implant retained denture made and four mini implants placed. i am sad to say i am having problems with it also. i am going weekly to have adjustments made.

my advice to you would be to let it all heal so you are not in anymore pain and then find a dentist in your area that specializes in dentures. it is soo hard for someone who has never had them to understand how hard it is to wear these things! i also have a smaller mouth and the dentures all seem sooo big! just keep telling the dentists what you want. as hard as it is to believe, you are the paying customer and you should demand satisfaction.

it seems that a big problem with dentures is that people who have to wear them are so embarrassed and conscientious that they don't always stand up and get satisfaction. it is crazy that people can wear fake fingernails, fake eye color, fake tans, fake hair but the people who have teeth problems are often stereotyped.

this was probably not very helpful but if nothing else know that you are not alone. there are a lot of us out here!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2004, 04:06 PM   #3
(female)

dquist091391 HB User

thank you,at least I'm not alone,yet I wouldnt wish this on anyone.yes it is embarassing.take care

Old 01-05-2004, 07:17 AM   #4

Toothless Wonder HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dquist091391
thank you,at least I'm not alone,yet I wouldnt wish this on anyone.yes it is embarassing.take care
You poor thing. Sorry to hear you've had such a negative experience and been traumatised even further by the lack of caring and understanding your dentist and referral have caused.

I had to have all my teeth removed in Jul 03 as well as they were in an awful shape, due in part I think to the chemo I had to have some years back. When I realised that the loss of my teeth was inevitable I went through all the emotions that entailed, i.e. anger, depression, fear of rejection, mourning the soon to be loss of yet another body part etc. Eventually that all gave way to acceptance and I was able to find the peace that was necessary to make my situation bearable.

My biggest fear was that my husband would find the whole idea of a toothless wife completely repulsive. Thankfully his reassurance and the caring manner which he afforded me made a difficult situation that much easier, and the transition to toothlessness and eventual dentures went relatively smoothly. I opted to go the route of waiting for my gums to heal post extractions for two reasons. Firstly, my limited medical aid meant that I could not afford immediates as well as permanent dentures that would eventually follow. Secondly, my dentist advised that as my gums would have had more time to heal and a lot of resorption would have taken place in the healing months, I would ultimately have better fitting dentures. Tough as it was to be seen in public sans teeth at the time and having to accept that some people are just downright cruel and insensitive, I am glad in retrospect that I went this route as my dentures fit snugly and look real good.

Also surprise surprise the toothless period added a whole new dimension to our love life as my husband enjoyed the feel of being able to kiss my bare gums. He also seems to get quite a thrill from watching me eat without teeth (something I dreaded in the beginning as I was convinced I looked rediculous) and frequently encourages me to remove them even now that I have my perms. Must say that I look forward to removing my gumshoes after a long day at work. Bit like removing ones shoes at the end of the day. I guess I could say I have the best of both worlds.

So all in all mine has been a fairly positive experience. I hope that in time you are able to reach the same point of satisfaction and that your dental woes will become a thing of the past. Do keep us posted on your progress.

All the very best
Charms

Old 01-05-2004, 07:52 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

Hi, I do agree that there are attidudes and stereotypes out there and to see a young woman wearing dentures seems to create it's own stereotype. I suffered many self esteem issues but I got lucky and met a wonderful woman who was a long time denture wearer and she took me under wing and taught me the ways of the world where dentures are concerned. I also feared my husbands reaction and like Charms was- he was compassionate and caring and proved that WE could do this together. I have not looked back.
People make up stories to suit their own curiosity. If they knew that there are many reasons people lose teeth other than neglect and decay. I had issues with my pregnancy and teams of medical and dental professionals were baffled. Hence, I wear dentures. They were a struggle both physically and emotionally but I had to make them work.

Old 01-05-2004, 09:52 PM   #6
(female)

Kaye2003 HB User

I'm 40 yrs old and got my top denture at 36 and my bottom at 39. I understand how you feel about the whole process. I had no choice in the matter. No bone left in my gum (gum surgery at 23 that did allow me to keep them as long as possible) I also understand the size issue. Im 4'11" and have small teeth. I was lucky in the fact that I have an identical twin that my dentist took a mole of her teeth and put them in my mouth. Hang in there, it will get better. My husband & family have also been great. And no more pain. You'll be glad when you heal.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:01 PM   #7

Sebastian HB User

Dear dquist091391,

I've done a great deal of research on dentistry since having a few problems of my own in 2001 and 2002.

I'm now aware of 7 different methods for regrowing lost teeth. I've put together a hybrid strategy for healing my teeth which has come out of the research I've done.

I hope to publish some of my strategies and experiences soon but for now all I can offer you is this one story (because the rest are still in my head) and say that there's a great array of alternative methods for caring for teeth.

Sebastian Reed

Last edited by Well-come; 01-06-2004 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Removed email address.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:30 PM   #8

TarballGunzip HB User
Angry Re: dental denture nightmare

I look like a freak and have lost my self asteem,I'm only 33 and so embarrassed,I cant afford to pay for a new set,what would you do.

First of all, WHY should YOU have to pay to have a poor job done correctly? INSIST he repair or better yet REDO the dentures, you should NOT need any type of reline for a new denture, a reline means either the arch has receeded to the point where the denture no lone fits properly, OR the new denture was made incorrectly and sloppy. NOT your fault. IF your DDS has a GOD COMPLEX and WON'T remake the whole thing, Tell him you are going to contact the ADA (American Dental Assoc) and put in a complaint....then really DO it. This doc could lose his license IF he habitually despenses ill fitting prosthetics.
YOU are HIS BOSS...don't let him treat you substandard. DEMAND a NEW REMAKE of the denture, or deman your money back and report him to the ADA and the BBB (Better Business Bureau).
<steaming with anger>
Tar Gz

Old 01-09-2004, 07:55 AM   #9

sailorbysea2000 HB User

dquist~ just checking in to see how you are faring....hope you are feeling better and you haven't let the whole denture ordeal get you down....

keep sounding off here.....there are lots of us out here to listen~

Old 01-09-2004, 11:55 AM   #10
(female)

savanannastar HB User

Hi guys i was considering getting dentures this year cause it would cost too much for all the dental work i need(no insurance)I am only 30 lost 2 teeth when i was pregnant think a calcuim deffincey (spelled wrong)also had alot of back teeth pulled over the years and alot more have to be pulled so it would make sense to get full extractions,Well after i heard your stories i am not sure anymore!!Any advice should i be sedated ,also there are so many different dentists which one is best and are there any natural looking dentures or are all of them the same.One more thing before i read your posts the only thing that scared me about getting dentures were the fear they were going to fall out when i am talking to someone is that a problem with denture wearers.
Savanna

Old 01-10-2004, 07:50 AM   #11

mysticvenus HB User

I had 26 teeth pulled about four weeks ago by an oral surgeon. I opted for IV sedation because of my extreme fear of the dentist and because I really didn't want to be aware of what was going on. I experienced quite a bit of bleeding on the day of surgery but thankfully I have a husband who is very caring and supportive and he got me through a really rough few hours after surgery. By eight that evening I was awake and talking even if it was hard to understand me. I had the immediate dentures placed right after surgery.

To tell you honestly the first week is really not much fun. Eating is almost impossible so I survived on baby food and energy drinks. After the first week I was able to start eating soft foods mostly by crushing them against the roof of my mouth with my tongue. I am now just starting my fourth week and was actually able to eat a hamburger!!!! What a treat.

I haven't had a problem with them slipping or falling out when I talk and I talk all day. I have had a problem with sore spots but my dentist has been really good at fixing them.

Before I decided on a dentist I looked in the phone book for dental labs and called them. I asked them who they thought did good work. They gave me the name of three dentist that they were really impressed with and thought did really good work. I choose one of those for my dentures and have to admit the immediate dentures turned out even better than I thought they would.

My immediate dentures were made from impressions with my natural teeth still in. Even after four weeks they still fit quite well. I am going into the dentist next week for my first soft reline and I know that they will fit even better afterward.

It is really a tough decision to have the work done and get dentures. I am only 44 years old and have really struggled with the emotional issues associated with them. But when I look in the mirror and see my perfect smile it really is worth it. I was so embarassed to be seen by anybody. I hated to have to talk because I knew people could see my bad teeth.

If dentures are really your only option, I say go for it. As far as support, I've found that the people on this board are very helpful and supportive.

Old 01-11-2004, 03:50 AM   #12
(female)

dquist091391 HB User

Hi everyone I'm still around,first Thank you all for being so willing to share your stories it helps.It has been almost a month since the oral surgeon fixed things but I still experience alot of pressure when I lay down its like a throbbing ache,like fluid is rushing to my gums.
there is also a spot about 1/2 inch to the side of my lip,if I press in the exact area my bottom lip recieves a shooting pain it feels like a shock then my lip goes numb on that side for quite a while really wierd.I plan to confront the dentist responsible for doing my dentures but I wanted to wait untill my gums are back to normal what ever that is before I let him do another impression.
I'am still confused about the number of steps involved in the entire process of immediate and perminate dentures.my dentist did one impression gave me my teeth and did a soft reline them wanted to do a hard reline. It is so humilating because
no one can understand me when I talk.in the begining the doc said it would take awile for my tounge to get used to the new pieces and eventually things would feel normal.Have I been fed a bunch of b.s. or what
To the post asking if they should do it NO NO NO
I wish I could go back to my ugly yucky looking teeth .if you do an oral surgeon is the only way to go
also check out the conditions of the room the work will be done in cause they placed me in a chair and god only knows what kind of position they stuck my head and neck in cause I still hurt underneath my chin and still have bruses.also demand to be give novicaine before they but you under with iv because they said they would but when I came out of the sedation I was already crying in my sleep from the pain. crazy I think this coming week I will get my nerve up to visit this dentist I'll keep everyone informed when I do. ehanks again

Closed Thread