It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2004, 08:59 AM   #1

mysticvenus HB User
Question Implants for lower denture

I had 24 teeth removed about three weeks ago and got my immediate dentures. It has been quite an adjustment learning how to talk and eat again. I still have sore spots especially on the lowers but trips back to the dentist to have then fixed has helped. My dentist has suggested that I may benefit from having implants put in and a permanent lower denture done. I don't have a large bone ridge to keep my lower denture in place very well. I would love to hear from anybody who has had this done and their experience with it.

Old 01-06-2004, 03:20 PM   #2
(female)

Hacamila HB User
Re: Implants for lower denture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticvenus
I had 24 teeth removed about three weeks ago and got my immediate dentures. It has been quite an adjustment learning how to talk and eat again. I still have sore spots especially on the lowers but trips back to the dentist to have then fixed has helped. My dentist has suggested that I may benefit from having implants put in and a permanent lower denture done. I don't have a large bone ridge to keep my lower denture in place very well. I would love to hear from anybody who has had this done and their experience with it.
I am also contemplating having a implant supported lower denture, and have many questions about it also. However, the cost is preventing me from doing so right now. I will probably have to get a removable denture first, and then later get an implant supported denture.
I had all my upper teeth extracted a few months ago and an immediate denture put in. So far, so good with that. I don't have much bone ridge left on my lowers either. I was wondering if I go ahead with the denture, will it stay put, or move around in my mouth when I try to eat, talk, etc. What problems have you had with the lower denture? Does it "look" like natural teeth?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2004, 10:11 PM   #3

TarballGunzip HB User
Talking Re: Implants for lower denture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacamila
I am also contemplating having a implant supported lower denture, and have many questions about it also. However, the cost is preventing me from doing so right now. I will probably have to get a removable denture first, and then later get an implant supported denture.
I had all my upper teeth extracted a few months ago and an immediate denture put in. So far, so good with that. I don't have much bone ridge left on my lowers either. I was wondering if I go ahead with the denture, will it stay put, or move around in my mouth when I try to eat, talk, etc. What problems have you had with the lower denture? Does it "look" like natural teeth?
As a former Dental Technician, all I can saay is go 4 the Implant. The edentulous ridge ( aka toothless ) will continue to receed. The implants are of superior histocompatability ( basically anti-hypoallergenic to the human tissue ) and will sit very nicely and is sooo much better than just dentures.
Good luck,
Tar Gz

Old 01-07-2004, 06:06 AM   #4

mysticvenus HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacamila
I've had my lower for about three weeks. I am still experiencing sore spots which my dentist is very good about taking care of. The lower does rock a little bit especially if I try to chew only on one side. I have had to relearn to chew on both sides of my mouth. I think my lower looks very natural. As a matter of fact the lab that made it even turned one or two of my teeth slightly to give it an even more "natural look". I really haven't had any real problems aside from the normal adjustments that go along with getting dentures. I am one of those unfortunates who was born with bad teeth. My parents both lost theirs before they were 20 and even with good dental care mine got to the point that dentures were the only option.

I'm having my first soft reline done next week and we will see how that goes. So far, so good though. I wouldn't recommend dentures for anybody as it really is quite an adjustment not to mention the mental ping-pong but if it is your only option. like mine, I'm sure you won't have any trouble getting used to having them. You already have a leg up on me as you have had your upper longer than I have had my full denture.

Old 01-07-2004, 03:49 PM   #5

Respo Mycojackson HB User

How is a lower denture-partial for stability?
I can't get the dentist to finish both sides, its all up in the air now on the right side.
So, I give up and will just get a partial and have that to chew on at least.
Is this foolish?
Thanks'
karlin

Old 01-08-2004, 06:09 AM   #6

mysticvenus HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respo Mycojackson
How is a lower denture-partial for stability?
I can't get the dentist to finish both sides, its all up in the air now on the right side.
So, I give up and will just get a partial and have that to chew on at least.
Is this foolish?
Thanks'
karlin
I actually have a full lower. I've only had it for about three weeks now but it feels fairly stable. I do get a bit of rocking when I eat but only if I forget to chew on both sides of my mouth. I'm still a bit sore, so I am still eating mostly soft foods, pasta, eggs, etc., but it is getting better day by day. I hope that your dentist can work out your difficulties so that you can get what you need and want to be able to chew and eat normally. I wouldn't give up. I've found that with my own dentist, I have to be a little bit aggressive about what i want done, i.e. adjustments, to make my upper and lower more comfortable. I figure I'm the one wearing them not him so how can he know what problems I am having unless I tell him.

Closed Thread