It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2004, 12:04 PM   #1

mysticvenus HB User
Hate my dentures

Help!!!!. I've had my dentures about four weeks now and I hate them. I guess I'm just having a really, really tough time getting used to them. My dentist says that everything is healing quite nicely and he has been really super about fixing the sore spots. But......I still hate them. Eating is a real chore. I can't eat the foods I want to yet and I am so sick of soup and soft foods I could scream. My dentures feel like rocks in my mouth still most of the time and I just know that everybody I talk to can tell just by my speech that I'm wearing them. Please, please, to all of you who have gone before, it does get better, doesn't it??

Old 01-09-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
Re: Hate my dentures

Yes, it does get better. It takes time to teach your mouth that those big snow shovels belong in there. Right now your mouth either wants to swallow them or spit them out. The eating and speaking will come with time- keep practicing. As for everyone knowing you have dentures- so what! They are in your mouth not theirs. Whatever the reason you have them is your business and a mouthful of nice looking false teeth beats a mouthful of nasty sick real teeth any day.
The other side of this is the emotional trauma. There are so many things going on right now- the physical adjustment to using a prosthetic device, the shock of losing a body part, the physical pain of the extractions, the loss of self esteem and body image. And there is the pain of failure as dictated by society- do anything but never lose your teeth! Take heart- you are not the first to undergo this nor will you be the last. You took an important step in restoring and preserving your health.
You might consider asking your dentist if he/she can put you in contact with another denture wearer around your age to talk to, someone to give some guidance. If you know a denture wearer- take them aside and explain your situation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2004, 07:09 PM   #3

sailorbysea2000 HB User
Re: Hate my dentures

hi~ so sorry you are having problems...i speak for most of us when i say you are not alone...everyone hates it to begin with....it will get better....like sandybeech said it takes getting used to...some people take longer than others...you said the denture rocks in your mouth...??? the bottom one will do that until your muscles learn how to hold it better...but the top should not be loose since you just had this done....if it is go back as soon as you can to the dentist and have him make adjustments.....this is a long road but there is light at the end of the tunnel !! i know it is depressing and traumatic to have experinced the whole denture ordeal but we should all look on the brighter side too!! no more toothaches! no more root canals! as sad as i was when i had to resort to dentures i am equally glad to not have any more pain...keep your chin up and don't worry about what other people think ( easier said than done! i know!) take care and good luck.... : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticvenus
Help!!!!. I've had my dentures about four weeks now and I hate them. I guess I'm just having a really, really tough time getting used to them. My dentist says that everything is healing quite nicely and he has been really super about fixing the sore spots. But......I still hate them. Eating is a real chore. I can't eat the foods I want to yet and I am so sick of soup and soft foods I could scream. My dentures feel like rocks in my mouth still most of the time and I just know that everybody I talk to can tell just by my speech that I'm wearing them. Please, please, to all of you who have gone before, it does get better, doesn't it??

Closed Thread