It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2004, 04:43 PM   #1

home_stead HB User
Question prolonged numbness

i stumbled on this site looking for some information about numbness in my tongue that has lasted for the past 4 days. i have been having a root canal work done on a lower incisor that has taken about 5 trips to finally get it all cleaned out. this last time, the dentist finally put in the rubber "post" and a temporary filling to make sure that it is finally clean inside before he does the permanent filling. i have had horror stories with dentists going back nearly 40 years (some of which sent me directly to the hospital) and since finding my current dentist 12 years ago, have had NO problems. i was sorry to see that other's have had this prolonged numbness, tingling and burning of the tongue problem too, but was glad to see that it should EVENTUALLY wear off. my concern is that now i'm terrified of going back in 3 weeks to have the permanent filling put in. should i avoid any more anesthesia until the the feeling has returned or will it be ok to go ahead and have it done beforehand? if anyone else has had this problem and has some encouragement i'd sure love to hear it, as i'm getting really worried it MAY be permanent. i would never have thought something this simple could be SO painful and bothersome!

Old 01-13-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
(female)

db2kp HB User
Re: prolonged numbness

home_stead,

The numbness may be from the injection. It is temporary.
Your filling on the root canal tooth will not require anesthetic because the tooth is dead. Let your dentist know about this, if you haven't already. Talk to him, so that you don't have to go out searching for a new dentist that you have to learn to trust all over again.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread