It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2004, 03:14 PM   #1
(female)

savanannastar HB User
Smile pill for sedation

Hi guys has anyone taken a pill to be put to sleep yesterday i have been looking into dentists and oral surgeons and a couple dentists advertised taken one little pill (i dont know what kind)to be sedated for all dental work ,has anybody experienced a pill versus IV sedation ??Do they work basically the same and is it cheaper and safer??

Old 01-11-2004, 08:49 PM   #2

Doppler4000 HB User
Re: pill for sedation

I'd say that the IV methods are probably more preferred by doctors. The IV allows a much more careful and immediate adjustment of dosage. But, as you've seen there are certainly plenty of docs using the oral sedation methods. An IV takes effect right away (no waiting around for the pill to get into your system and finding out if they've given you enough) and if a person needs a little more drug in the middle of a procedure it can be given right away. With a pill, there isn't that option. However, I think advertising a sedation pill to people who are generally dental phobic is a popular marketing tool because a lot of those people are also fearful of needles. Ideally, one could work with a compassionate dentist to gradually overcome their fears- but the primary goal, of course, is just to get your teeth fixed ASAP.

Last edited by Doppler4000; 01-11-2004 at 09:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2004, 03:27 AM   #3
maz

Hi

I think the pill you may be talking about is valium which doesn't put you to sleep but makes you feel very relaxed, I take before dental visits and it really calms me down but i also have nitrous oxide (inhaled sedation) as well. This makes you feel really out of it and you don't really care about what is happening in your mouth. I would recommend giving this a try if you can bear to be awake as the effects wear off instantly as soon as the mask is removed unlike iv which takes a few hours to wear off. I have a big phobia of the dentist bur my biggest fear at my last visit was that i was going to start singing along to the music on the headphones because I was so relaxed. Of course this is not for everyone and most people that opt for iv don't even recall having treatment at all so that maybe still the best option for you.

Kind regards

Old 01-12-2004, 06:25 AM   #4

sailorbysea2000 HB User

hi- the drug my dentist uses for sedation is called halcion. i would say it depends on the severity of the procedure you are having done as to which method to use...if you are planning on having major work i would opt for the iv sedation...it takes longer to wear off but why go through pain and anguish if you don't have to. i had mini implants done a few months ago and wish i had gone with the iv sedation..actually just had the normal anesthesia and it was NOT enough! : (
hope this helped...

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanannastar
Hi guys has anyone taken a pill to be put to sleep yesterday i have been looking into dentists and oral surgeons and a couple dentists advertised taken one little pill (i dont know what kind)to be sedated for all dental work ,has anybody experienced a pill versus IV sedation ??Do they work basically the same and is it cheaper and safer??

Old 01-12-2004, 10:57 AM   #5

Doppler4000 HB User

Obviously, there are many different drugs available and different ways to use them. That being said, I disagree with those that have written above that it takes longer to "wake up" from the typical dental IV sedation. My experience has been that coming out of light, conscious IV sedation (we're talking where you're asleep and don't remember a thing, which is a deeper sedation than nitrous/valium, but still breathing, etc. completely on your own) is quite rapid with very little or no after effects. Once the needle is out of your arm, you immediately start to clear the drugs and wake up.... again, no waiting around for the estimated dosage of oral sleep sedative to wear off.

Last edited by Doppler4000; 01-12-2004 at 11:01 AM.

Old 01-12-2004, 03:00 PM   #6
(female)

savanannastar HB User

Thanks guys from what you all said it sounds like IV sed is the best way to go ,as for what kind of pill i dont know the ad just said one pill to put you a sleep that just seemed safer and easier than an IV. As for what kind of work I need 16 teeth pulled. Thanxs Savanna

Old 01-12-2004, 03:40 PM   #7
maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanannastar
Thanks guys from what you all said it sounds like IV sed is the best way to go ,as for what kind of pill i dont know the ad just said one pill to put you a sleep that just seemed safer and easier than an IV. As for what kind of work I need 16 teeth pulled. Thanxs Savanna

Hi again Savanna

For your major work i would go with the Iv although it does make some people quite groggy for a few hours afterwards, but it will probably be worth it as you may have no recollection of events (which is good). Many people say that it feels as if they have just sat in the chair and the next minute it is time to go home.

Hope you get it sorted

Kind regards

Closed Thread