It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 04:55 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3
Monkey2 HB User
Replacing Fillings

Hi,

I have been advised to have my mercury fillings replaced.

I have subsequently read that this isn't a good idea as it may cause mercury to be leaked into the bloodstream.

I have one massive filling that takes up most of one tooth which I have told needs a crown - will removing this tooth also cause mercury leaking?

I really do not want to go through the pain of having these fillings replaced if there is an addition risk with mercury.

Are there any dental experts who could give me any advise please.
Thanks

 
Old 01-12-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 314
junglemonkey HB User
Re: Replacing Fillings

I'm by no means a dental expert but if you keep the mercury fillings in your mouth you will still be subjected to mercury seeping out over the years. As long as the dentist is careful, there shouldn't be too much of a problem with mercury exposure and you are probably better off in the long run. What are they replacing the amalgam fillings with?

I really wish I had asked for composite fillings instead of mercury now actually.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-13-2004, 02:11 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3
Monkey2 HB User
Re: Replacing Fillings

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemonkey
I'm by no means a dental expert but if you keep the mercury fillings in your mouth you will still be subjected to mercury seeping out over the years. As long as the dentist is careful, there shouldn't be too much of a problem with mercury exposure and you are probably better off in the long run. What are they replacing the amalgam fillings with?

I really wish I had asked for composite fillings instead of mercury now actually.
Many thanks for your reply.

My dentist just said he would replace them with white fillings - he wasn't specific about what sort.

I just find it very confusing reading the past postings about mercury fillings. Some people have regretted having them replaced because they now have more problems, and some say have them out for the sake of your health.

Guess it's different for every individual person, but I must admit I don't like the thought of having mercury fillings in my mouth, but don't want to make matters worse having them replaced.

 
Old 01-13-2004, 04:37 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 147
Doppler4000 HB User
Re: Replacing Fillings

I'm in the process of having a couple old fillings replaced with white resin. The reason I'm doing it is because there was some new decay around the edges of the old (15-20 years) filling and I had no choice. If that wasn't the case, I'd probably have left them alone, but I can't say for sure. So far I've had no problems with the work that's been done.

 
Old 01-13-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 314
junglemonkey HB User
Re: Replacing Fillings

db2kp - There has been much research done on amalgam fillings, and patients can have symptoms such as nausea, dizziness... etc after placing one. It is proven that Hg deposits can be found on the surface of the fillings. Hg has also been found in blood, urine, plasma and some tisues in patients. There are many studies that verify this, and I would be happy to direct you to some if you want :-)

 
Old 01-13-2004, 02:34 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 29
letsconnect HB User
Re: Replacing Fillings

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemonkey
db2kp - There has been much research done on amalgam fillings, and patients can have symptoms such as nausea, dizziness... etc after placing one. It is proven that Hg deposits can be found on the surface of the fillings. Hg has also been found in blood, urine, plasma and some tisues in patients. There are many studies that verify this, and I would be happy to direct you to some if you want :-)
As db2kp said, having amalgam fillings placed and replaced that CAN be harmful. The vast majority of patients don't have symptoms such as nausea and dizziness after placing one. This is not to say that SOME patients do not experience problems.
I'd also leave them alone unless they need replacement due to leakage, decay etc. Having said that, there are two schools of thoughts on this topic, and the dental profession is deeply divided on this issue.

 
Old 01-13-2004, 03:01 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 194
tryingtofeelgood HB User
Re: Replacing Fillings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey2
Hi,

I have been advised to have my mercury fillings replaced.

I have subsequently read that this isn't a good idea as it may cause mercury to be leaked into the bloodstream.

I have one massive filling that takes up most of one tooth which I have told needs a crown - will removing this tooth also cause mercury leaking?

I really do not want to go through the pain of having these fillings replaced if there is an addition risk with mercury.

Are there any dental experts who could give me any advise please.
Thanks
Hey Monkey,

Not a dental expert, however - knowledgeable - there is a compatibility test that can be done. I believe they take some of your tissue to test and see if you are sensitive to some of the alternative fillings, other than amalgam. As you can see, there are a LOT of people that think mercury fillings will be the death of us and others that don't think much of it. Unfortunately, it is your decision. I once had 7 amalgams removed because I saw 20/20 and was scared and I started to get arthritis, so I just connected the 2. My dentist went ahead and took all of them out - (SO painful) and then, placing in resin filling. I was in so much pain after - could not get used to the new fillings for months and went back and had them replaced with mercury again. Some people cannot handle the other fillings. I am one of them. I have never had any other teeth problems either. No braces, anything. Until very recently, I went to get a porcelain veneer on a tooth and bad dentistry caused an infection that nobody knew what to do/how to get rid of/or even acknowledge it/ and i am still battling a bone infection. I do not think any of this is related. I know it is not. I do, however (and everyone does), have to replace amalgam fillings every 15-20 years, so they won't decay under them. Get put to sleep, have them taken out and replaced with what your body can handle and you'll be good to go I do suggest taking antibitoics before, during and after the procedure. Lots of bacteria is to be had.

Hope this helps, best of luck, keep us updated!

 
Old 01-13-2004, 08:49 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 29
letsconnect HB User
Re: Replacing Fillings

There are no hard and fast rules on how often fillings should be replaced. Maximum lifespan estimates for amalgam range from 14 to 40 years. Some dentists believe that replacing them every 6 years or so is the best policy (in the case of amalgam, because of expansion, in the case of composite because of shrinkage; also because of looks), while conservative dentists replace when defects are beginning to show. So it's not necessarily true that everyone has to have amalgam fillings replaced every 15-20 years, in the absence of defects. Some dentists argue that defects are not detectable and therefore should be replaced frequently, while others argue that frequent replacement means frequent trauma and therefore renders the tooth more prone to less conservative procedures such as the need for crowns.
It's hard to tell - personally, I'd err on the side of caution. I don't think antibiotics are necessary, though. Also, if you have fillings replaced as you go along, I don't believe it's necessary to "be put to sleep".
Just my two cents worth.



Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtofeelgood
Hey Monkey,

I do, however (and everyone does), have to replace amalgam fillings every 15-20 years, so they won't decay under them. Get put to sleep, have them taken out and replaced with what your body can handle and you'll be good to go I do suggest taking antibitoics before, during and after the procedure. Lots of bacteria is to be had.

Hope this helps, best of luck, keep us updated!

 
Old 01-13-2004, 11:20 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 194
tryingtofeelgood HB User
Re: Replacing Fillings

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsconnect
There are no hard and fast rules on how often fillings should be replaced. Maximum lifespan estimates for amalgam range from 14 to 40 years. Some dentists believe that replacing them every 6 years or so is the best policy (in the case of amalgam, because of expansion, in the case of composite because of shrinkage; also because of looks), while conservative dentists replace when defects are beginning to show. So it's not necessarily true that everyone has to have amalgam fillings replaced every 15-20 years, in the absence of defects. Some dentists argue that defects are not detectable and therefore should be replaced frequently, while others argue that frequent replacement means frequent trauma and therefore renders the tooth more prone to less conservative procedures such as the need for crowns.
It's hard to tell - personally, I'd err on the side of caution. I don't think antibiotics are necessary, though. Also, if you have fillings replaced as you go along, I don't believe it's necessary to "be put to sleep".
Just my two cents worth.
Dentists never do agree with each other, therefore leaving the public at large to be their own advocates. So what you say and I say is both true. It's up to each of us to take care of our own dental needs. Personally, after 20 years, I would rather have them changed because decay generally gets under there no matter what your oral hygeine is. HOWEVER, if they are not bothering me and the dentist sees nothing impending, it is preferable to leave well enough alone, I suppose (because again, I am not a dentist and don't play one on tv). I do STRONGLY suggest the use of antibiotics. Why don't you? Are you a dentist, by chance? Or do you play one on tv?

Cheers.

 
Old 01-14-2004, 03:20 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 29
letsconnect HB User
Re: Replacing Fillings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtofeelgood
Dentists never do agree with each other, therefore leaving the public at large to be their own advocates. So what you say and I say is both true. It's up to each of us to take care of our own dental needs. Personally, after 20 years, I would rather have them changed because decay generally gets under there no matter what your oral hygeine is. HOWEVER, if they are not bothering me and the dentist sees nothing impending, it is preferable to leave well enough alone, I suppose (because again, I am not a dentist and don't play one on tv). I do STRONGLY suggest the use of antibiotics. Why don't you? Are you a dentist, by chance? Or do you play one on tv?

Cheers.
Neither... simply regurgitating information that's freely available on the net... I've never heard antibiotics mentioned as a preventative measure when replacing fillings, I have to admit... Did your dentist prescribe you the antibiotics, or are you a doctor and able to write your own prescriptions? Just wondering, it's not exactly over-the-counter medication =)

 
Old 01-14-2004, 03:33 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Pa,USA
Posts: 29
jojocm HB User
Re: Replacing Fillings

You should only replace fillings if it is necessary. Replacing a filling just because it is amalgam is unwarranted,and can lead to bigger problems down the road. Do get the crown put on the large filling. Take it from me, you do not want to lose a tooth.

Some facts:

The ADA's Principles of Ethics and Code of Conduct states, "Removal of amalgam restorations from the non-allergic patient for the alleged purpose of removing toxic substances from the body, when such treatment is performed solely at the recommendation or suggestion of the dentist, is improper and unethical."


In August 1996, the Canadian Health Department also released a statement saying, "Current evidence does not indicate that dental amalgam is causing illness in the general population." They issued guidelines to all Canadian dentists instructing them that removal of existing sound amalgam fillings is not justified.


Removing good fillings is not merely a waste of money. In some cases, it results in loss of teeth. In 1985 a $100,000 settlement was awarded to a 55-year-old California woman whose dentist removed her silver fillings. Based on testing with a Dermatron (a phony electrodiagnostic device), the dentist claimed that six of her fillings were a "liability" to her large intestine [17]. In removing the fillings from five teeth, the dentist caused severe nerve damage necessitating root canal therapy for two teeth and extraction of two others.



From Consumer Reports Books -In CU's view, dentists who purport to treat health problems by ripping out fillings are putting their own economic interests ahead of their patients' welfare. The false diagnosis of mercury-amalgam toxicity has such harmful potential and shows such poor judgment on the part of the practitioner that CU believes dentists who engage in this practice should have their license revoked

I have also read stories on another forum from many people that are having a lot of trouble with their teeth after having their fillings replaced with the white. Please think carefully.

 
Old 01-14-2004, 07:48 AM   #12
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 74
db2kp HB User
Re: Replacing Fillings

tryingtofeelgood,

Why do you believe that antibiotics are necessary for a restorative appointment? I know that you mentioned bacteria...but, I'm just curious, since I've never heard of that before.

In general: I'm 43yrs old and still have a few amalgams that I had placed when I was 12 or 13yrs old. Some of the amalgams that I had replaced in the last 10yrs are large, and if they ever need to be replaced I will require crowns or onlays. I had ONE amalgam replaced with a composite filling and it is the worst filling in my mouth. In addition, the dentist did not develop a good contact with the tooth in front of it, (last tooth on top), so food is constantly caught between the teeth. I am constantly flossing the area, since I could develop a nice perio pocket there. If I have that filling replaced, I will have to have a crown. So, it's staying for now. Not many dentists are placing amalgams anymore.
Just some info on my situation.....


db

 
Old 01-15-2004, 04:19 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NM
Posts: 9
Lizard HB User
Re: Replacing Fillings

Jojocm-

Finally, a voice of reason.

Look, you probably get more Hg from eating fish, esp. salmon, than you do from your fillings. Think twice about replacing them "just because."

 
Old 01-15-2004, 09:18 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,435
rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Re: Replacing Fillings

The amount of mercury you have from your fillings, depends obviously on the amount of mercury fillings a person has, the type of amalgam and the size etc. Each case is different. I think we all should be more careful of consuming mercury from any source. It's a dangerous metal...and highly toxic in even the very smallest amounts.

I'm so glad I'm not sick anymore after having all of my mercury-silver dental amalgams removed. The suffering was immense. I wish everyone would research this carefully.... Today, I heard a person's wife died from the effect of mercury fillings. I'll have to find out more about it...to see if it was documented by medical professionals or if it was just conjecture.

High copper amalgams are much more dangerous. The leakage from these is much more. If you have gold and mercury fillings together then you could have more galvanic action too.

 
Old 02-14-2004, 11:51 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 75
PuppyPuke HB User
Re: Replacing Fillings

Um, before you people start twisting around information, the original poster NEVER said the reason her fillings need replacing were just because they were amalgams. She never gave much information on the situation.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Replacing Fillings/Tooth Cracks/Etc tiggerfan Dental Health 3 11-12-2009 12:14 AM
replacing old filling? PinkFlower Dental Health 0 06-02-2009 09:42 AM
replacing mercury amalgams okjacklim Dental Health 5 08-31-2005 11:54 PM
Tooth decay&fillings! HELP tallgirl1982 Pregnancy 7 02-10-2005 10:12 AM
Amalgam fillings Delta Dental Health 32 12-12-2004 12:43 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Gellia (58), slenderella (25), riptoff (16), janewhite1 (13), Elizabetho (12), Sandybeech (11), Titchou (11), sweetpotato13 (7), armywife2007 (7), tanyasue (7)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1182), MSJayhawk (1015), Apollo123 (913), Titchou (862), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (760), midwest1 (671), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:13 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!