It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 11:36 AM   #1

Altura Ct. HB User
Opinions please.......shifting teeth

Hi Everyone,
Abscessed tooth (upper left second from back). Root canal done 6 years ago from cracked tooth. Went to dentist. Xrayed and said it had to come out(what I figured anyway) with a bridge for the gap. Scheduled extraction with oral surgeon. In discussion with oral surgeon he brings up an option not mentioned by the dentist. Do nothing other than extraction. I said what about shifting teeth(main concern expressed by dentist). He said at my age, 47, and the relative good health of my other teeth he didn't think it would be a problem. He said chewing takes some getting used to but otherwise it should not cause a problem. Needless to say this appeals to me. I don't like the idea of a bridge(why compromise two good teeth) and an implant is a financial concern (if it was my front teeth I would definitely get an implant). I feel confident in the oral surgeon yet it still does give me pause as I've heard dentist speak of shifting teeth all my life............So anyone have an opinion on this? Any other dentist out there? Thanks for any and all opinions!

Old 01-12-2004, 03:49 PM   #2
maz

Re: Opinions please.......shifting teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altura Ct.
Hi Everyone,
Abscessed tooth (upper left second from back). Root canal done 6 years ago from cracked tooth. Went to dentist. Xrayed and said it had to come out(what I figured anyway) with a bridge for the gap. Scheduled extraction with oral surgeon. In discussion with oral surgeon he brings up an option not mentioned by the dentist. Do nothing other than extraction. I said what about shifting teeth(main concern expressed by dentist). He said at my age, 47, and the relative good health of my other teeth he didn't think it would be a problem. He said chewing takes some getting used to but otherwise it should not cause a problem. Needless to say this appeals to me. I don't like the idea of a bridge(why compromise two good teeth) and an implant is a financial concern (if it was my front teeth I would definitely get an implant). I feel confident in the oral surgeon yet it still does give me pause as I've heard dentist speak of shifting teeth all my life............So anyone have an opinion on this? Any other dentist out there? Thanks for any and all opinions!
Hi

I am 33 and have had big gaps from missing molars since i was 18, on one side of my mouth one tooth behind a gap has turned sideways but on the other side of my mouth they look pretty much normal. My mum has big gaps too and has never had a problem. I guess what I am trying to say is I think it depends on the individual and it doestakes a long time for them to move so you could always get something done at a later stage. I too have a new problem with infected teeth but these are near the front and are surrounded by the only teeth i have left that are ok so i don't want a bridge either. A few years ago a dentist did give me an option of fixing a false tooth in on to the teeth either side using the existing teeth as anchors, this meant drilling out old fillings and somehow using new fillings to hold the false tooth in place. Of course this only works if you have big fillings in the teeth either side and I don't know much about it as i didn't go through with it.

Anyway I hope you find a solution

kind regards

Marie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2004, 08:37 AM   #3

Altura Ct. HB User

Thanks for your response Marie.

Old 01-13-2004, 11:32 AM   #4
(female)

db2kp HB User

Altura..

You will have shifting. The teeth next to the extracted tooth will lean in and if you're having an lower tooth extracted, the tooth directly above it will actually grow down. All movement is to fill the new gap. Yes, it does take time for this to happen, but, it will happen. Are you comfortable with your bite changing? Since your bite will change, that can also cause TMJ problems.

It sounds like you had a root canal done on a cracked tooth? Is that what you meant?

FYI: I've worked in the dental industry for over 23yrs.

Let me know....

Closed Thread